The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have just been told what my bonus will be this year and out of it I will have about £100 - £150 to spend. This summer I tried using SP's a bit in my bassing and pollocking but using my Sakura shukan I felt I was making things a little difficult for myself.

I am looking to kit myself out with a HRF outfit. A rod, braid and maybe a reel although I will probably just use my Exage 4000 or rarenium 4000.

I want to be able to fish lures such as Xlayers, Sluggos, Big hammers senkos etc with lighter jigheads than I have to use with the Shukan (7-10g presently). To be honest I would still like to be able to chuck the odd hard lure but understand I may be trying to spread the rod over too much ground.

If I was a rich man I think I would go for an injection from what I have read, but what rods in the cheaper range would people recommend that handle a similar range.

I would like to try LRF at some point, but for now, I want to get started with HRF.

The rods I have picked out so far are
Bushwacker 7' 6" 3-18g

Shimano Beast Master Drop Shot 2.40m 3.5-28g

Cormoran TR4 2.10m 6-28g

With the possibility of abandoing the idea of still being able to chuck a few hard lures and use something like the

Sakura Stingray SGS 7' ML (3-10.5g)

Any input would be appreciated.

I am also looking to gets some lighter braid, 10 - 15lb ish. I am using powershot for my plugging outfit and do like it, has anyone used this in the lower gagues?

Thank you

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
PeteB,
Can't help with the rods, but braid wise I am using 1PE YGK which is about 16lb, pretty thin stuff. But so far it has been very easy to use-even easier than powershot. A bit pricey but worth concidering.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Pete the TR4 is what I would choose from those rods, I have one. In relation to the braid what powershot are using at the mo?

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Sound pete, 15lb then on the 4000 with the TR4 would be decent setup for HRF.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
That Cormoran TR4 2.10m 6-28g is a lovely rod for the money alright, I've mine paired up with a Rarenium 2500 and 10/20lb daiwa 8 strand. I personally think the upper 28g rating is a little optimistic and I'd prefer if it came with a spigot joint but I really like it, not sure how it compares to the others rods you've mentioned though.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
The Shimano Drop Shot is a beauty but for the stupid hook-keeper, can't speak for the others, but I know the TR4 is rated by many. As is the little Wacker.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Never even seen a TR4 so can't comment on that but I have a shim. dropshot and it is a lovely rod for the $$, can feel everything. Lovely soft tip for feeling for the lure going weightless.
Got the backbone too, handled a double shot of pollock 5lb and 2lb that went to ground (don't ask!) very well for a sensitive rod.
Well worth the 65 quid! I got one and four of my mates got them within a week..
Cheers

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
You just need to remember that one rod can't do everything.

I often use my HRF rods to throw hard stuff but if I were going out specifically to throw it, I would take a rod made for the job just like we take HRF rods for that 1 specific task.

Shimano Drop Shot....
I always tell people to tape over that dreadfully placed keeper ring. Other than that...a really good, sensitive and powerful (when needed) rod.

·
Registered
498 Posts
if you go for the tr4 i think the 2.10 would be too light for hard lures, iv got the 2.40, and the dropshot both nice rods but have different use's,the tr4 is a bit more versatile

1 - 17 of 17 Posts