The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
put a post up a while ago about the start of this...

basically tonight my drag on my exage 3000rb has died. no clicks, no friction, the spool doesn't go up and down and just rotates when you pull the line off.

it's been sticking a bit for a while. i've dunked it now and again in the excitement of actually catching and unhooking a fish but i've usually washed it off, dried it and wd40'd it.

the actual bearings feel smooth and there's no play or movement just no friction or clicks on the drag....

anyone help? a mate told me there's a guy in southampton who'll fix these things.

it's sort of pushing me towards the cormoran blackstar to go with my teklon rod... seems a good buy for £100ish.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
put a post up a while ago about the start of this...

basically tonight my drag on my exage 3000rb has died. no clicks, no friction, the spool doesn't go up and down and just rotates when you pull the line off.

it's been sticking a bit for a while. i've dunked it now and again in the excitement of actually catching and unhooking a fish but i've usually washed it off, dried it and wd40'd it.

the actual bearings feel smooth and there's no play or movement just no friction or clicks on the drag....

anyone help? a mate told me there's a guy in southampton who'll fix these things.

it's sort of pushing me towards the cormoran blackstar to go with my teklon rod... seems a good buy for £100ish.
The WD40 may have killed it by dissolving the lubrication.
I know we have all discussed it so many times before but WD40 and reels just dont go together,in fact its a great 'release' agent for sticky nuts,,,,,,but thats it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i must have missed that one...... oops. what would you rec'd instead of wd40 for a quick squirt...?

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
i must have missed that one...... oops. what would you rec'd instead of wd40 for a quick squirt...?
Richard just use some luke warm tap water and then dry it off,re oil the line roller and handle knob on a 'very' regular basis.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
hi mate

i had to send one od my stradics back to shimano as same problem happened turned out it was a gearing problem something inside snapped so the replaced all of the gearing and full serviced the reel.
As for oils i have always used mineral oils for my reels, usualy gun oils as they are high grade and water restistant to a level.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i've got gun oil at home - i guess i'll use that barring any bad reports from anyone on here.... i guess i'll send the exage to felindre then, get them to look at it. assuming its not a warranty thing what sort of prices do they charge for stuff like this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts