Help please, braid size on small multiplier reels. | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Help please, braid size on small multiplier reels.

Discussion in 'Lines' started by {name}, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Sprat

I'm told if you put braid on a multiplier it should roughly be the same size/diameter of mono you would be using? So if 12lb =.30 mono was normal then a braid should be the same, even if its 30lb. Can anyone give me a guide please.

One is a medium size bait caster the other a light one. I'm thinking 30lb braid on the light 40lb on the medium. The cast baits between 7 grams to 20 grams. Should you still be able to cast 7- 10 grams on 30lb braid?

Thanks in anticipation.

Rich.

2. Striper

always beleived by mono by diameter,, an still beleive this,, buy braid by strain, or a touch higher.
    some braids at labelled at 0.3 are going to be 80lb or so.

3. Sprat

Mat.
    Thanks but it's not really helpful in this case, why. If I buy a thin braid it will frap up when casting. The consensus seems to be 20lb as a minimum to stop this when casting with a multiplier. If I'm wrong then what would you suggest for a small multiplier using 1/2 ounce weights. And a heavier outfit using up to 1 ounce? Many say .30 is the finest you should go to stop overruns with braid. Your input is respected.

4. Pike

I am not sure of the terminology you use as I come from another world (Aus) but when you say multiplier, I assume you are talking of the overhead round reels, which we call baitcasters here. On saying that, the majority of baitcasters we use are low profile.

Anyway, I have used small to medium size ones. One I currently use is a Shimano Chronarch 50Mg. Google it if you want to get an idea what it is like. It is small and I run either 8 or 10 lb (can't remember) Power Pro on it. The stated line capacity in mono would be around the same breaking strain but obviously not the same diameter. Do I have problems? Yes, but it is normally through my own stupidity by becoming too complacent. Then the problems I have is overruns or 'bird nests' as we call them here. As I said, normally my fault.

Of course if your reel is nothing like mine then all I have said is irrelevant. If your reel is similar, I would not hesitate in trying light braid.

5. Sprat

Jim thanks. My small reel is an Okuma Helios Air 7;3;1. The bigger is Abu Garcia revo s. Yes, they are both low profile bait casters. Sorry Jim but I'm still under the impression that when you put braid on these reels it should have a diameter of at least .20 or more. Am I incorrect buddy? Most Forums suggest using 12lb mono Berkley XL to start with. Is it not a fact the thinner the line, the more difficult it is to use/cast a b/c.
    I have some 15lb braid I could try, much thinner than any line, maybe around 6lb mono diameter? Do you think it's worth a punt on the Okuma?
    I mainly fish for big perch and modest pike, zander.

Thanks again.

6. Pike

I would never say anyone is incorrect. It appears as though Matt also has the same idea as you. I do know that when you look at line capacity specs that the breaking strain of braid is always higher than the breaking strain of mono for the same reel. I always assumed this was because you would need too much braid at a lighter breaking strain to fill the spool. Your forum colleagues may be more on the ball with the correct reasoning.

What I do know is I have some new baitcasters to spool including a Shimano Alderbaran and a Stile SS and they will likely be 'wearing' Daiwa 10 lb 8 strand and 13 lb 12 strand braid so it is very thin. I am not too concerned about it. Take the risk (if you perceive it as a risk) if you want, fish with confidence and it may just work out for you. As I said previously, at times I have an issue but I accept it is more likely operator error! What should one expect when one day dreams whilst fishing like I do! Also, if you do go with the ligher braid, keep in mind you may need mono backing to fill the spool.

Looking at the reels you have, I have not seen the Okuma reel locally (it looks good) but the Revo...I am sure the model or similar is here and I have no doubt my fellow fishos here would use it with braid down to 20 lb chasing our native fish.

7. Snapper

Don't know if it helps but I have an original Revo STX which I use mainly for pike. I have it spooled with 40lb regular (4 strand) Power Pro. Might go with 30lb Power Pro next time though. I like a strongish line for pulling out of snags. Sure 20lb would work fine on the Revo too. Don't know about the smaller Okuma reel.

8. Sprat

So I wouldn't go far wrong with 30lb braid on the Abu, and 15lb on the Okuma. The Okuma has the smaller spool? I have both in the Daiwa braid you spoke about Jim!
    Thanks guys.
    Rich.

9. Pike

Give it a go! Should be fine.