The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help,

I have a problem, I've convinced myself I need a new rod, I probably don't as I already have a Supermix 270, a 9' Hardy Sirrus 15-45g rod and an Esox Spinflex 7' 5-15g.

...but what the hell, It was my birthday recently and I have some money burning a whole in my pocket.

I want an 8' rod to cast anything between 10-50g mainly for plugs, possibly the occasional SP's but mainly HP.

It will be used for sea lure fishing and the occasional Pikey encounter (Esox Lucius, not beating the local chavs round the head)

I've narrowed it down but would like some honest opinions. I know the usual options but have seen a couple of alternatives that could be contenders.

They are...
Savage Gear Bushwhacker XLNT Rod - old favourite it seems but I dont want to be a sheep :)
http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17534

Berkley Skeletor 2 Spin Series One - I really like the look of this but dont know much about Berkley gear
http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16558

Teklon Concept Spin 802ML - Heard nothing but good things from Henry's blog and all but am I right to be slightly put off by the Spigot joint? I don't know why :|
https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Spinning.html

There are also some Cormoran rods on ***** site that might be worth a look at and of course the slightly longer sakura Rookie
http://www.mrfishjersey.com/fishing-rods/sakura/sakura-rookie-8ft-6in.html

Anyone?!?!?!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Teklon Concept Spin 802ML - Heard nothing but good things from Henry's blog and all but am I right to be slightly put off by the Spigot joint? I don't know why :|
Put off by the spigot joint? Why's that Chad? They're the best?

Out of those, and considering you want a rod for hard baits, I'd probably suggest the Rookie. I had the 8'6" Shukan until recently and it was a brilliant rod for just that. The Rookie is very, very similar. Had you been after an allrounder (soft baits as well) then I'd probably have said Teklon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ben, slightly off topic but u mentioned the teklon as the better all rounder...would u pick the 8' or 8'3" for this...or would u think theres much difference??
Im no use to you chad, soz... buy them all maybe??! u can never have enuf rods!!.......... So my chimney sweeping friend keeps telling me anyway!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Ben, slightly off topic but u mentioned the teklon as the better all rounder...would u pick the 8' or 8'3" for this...or would u think theres much difference??
Im no use to you chad, soz... buy them all maybe??! u can never have enuf rods!!.......... So my chimney sweeping friend keeps telling me anyway!
8' from what I've heard. Thats the only one I've used though. I know Henry definitely preferred it to the 8'3".

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ben, I dont know why, they always put me off though, I've heard a few stories of Rods breaking at the spigot joint over the years so maybe that's just stuck in my mind.

I know I should find out more about them but that Berkley Rod is looking good to me for some reason. I hear they have a stiff action and are good for top water and heavier plugs but then so is the Teklon 8'3.
I'm confused! I think an 8' rod with a stiffer action would be a good buy for me, the supermix can be a bit flexy and the Hardy has a more through action. The Hardy is a lovely rod though and being built for salmon it has plenty of backbone.

Truth be told this is as much for my brother as it is for me. He sometimes likes to come fishing with me but isn't really that into it, I always lend him my gear but that usually means he's using the Hardy which isn't really a plugging rod.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hi, i had a brief play with a skeletor 2 last year and to me of felt a bit stiff and lifeless in the butt and yet whippy/flimsy in the tip... and incredibly tip heavy...
it was my top choice till i used it... it just felt wrong.
i ended up with a quantum salsa spin 8ft, which i like a lot but not experienced many rods. i think a lot are a bit whippy at the end and i dont like this. or is this how they should be? (however the reel seat moves some, not to bad but obviously not ideal.)
i have maybe adapted to the rod...
without doubt try the berkley, you will love or hate it...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I really, really, really (really really really really really really really) wouldn't worry about spigot joints. I think you'll probably find that every rod on your list has them (even the Berkley), as does your Supermix?

The Teklon won't be that different to your supermix in action, just probably won't have quite as much power lower down.

Would definitely go for the Rookie, listening to what you're after.

Although mentioning Cormoran rods, they would be worth considering too. Speak to **** perhaps. I really liked the X-Power-X in Nantes this year (http://www.cormoran.de/co/en/produc...s_lure_spin/5,1,62,63,1,1__products-model.htm), and did like the Maro Power. Both of those could be just what you're after.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts