1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
You screw the coil into the SP, then push the point through the SP to sit flush out the other side. You can nick the point into the skin, but I dont personally bother.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so the hook will go through the SP almost to the opposite side of where the weight is?

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
This is the rigged weighted hook in the mouth of a Wrasse I caught in spring. You can get the idea there I think. I took this from Keith's blog, hope he wont mind.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So the hook sticks out of the SP almost?? Keeping it as flush as possible to the side of the SP?

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Basically yes. This makes it pretty weedless. You can fish it through heavy rock cover and weed etc without much bother at all. The shape of the hook dictates the way that the hook sits flush with the SP. Just make sure you rig it straight, so the SP is not stretched or curled.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers mate brilliant advice :)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
in addition:

those without hitch hiker mounts on weighted hooks should refrain from pulling the weighted part through the SP body.
Mount the offset eye part of the hook in a reverse style, get the eye out the front of the lure and then mount as normal.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi Keith,

I'm very interested in this topic too, would it be possible to post a picture of what you describe? It would be very much appreciated.

Colm

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I'd also appreciate a photo. I've just bought some weighted Berkley 1/0 hooks & Sidewinder Shimmer eels as part of my first venture into the world of SP's. Naturally assumed that you put the hook into the SP & pulled the hook end & weighted part through so you end up with something similar to say the rubber Eddystone or Redgill eels

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
in addition:

those without hitch hiker mounts on weighted hooks should refrain from pulling the weighted part through the SP body.
Mount the offset eye part of the hook in a reverse style, get the eye out the front of the lure and then mount as normal.
Keith - have you got any photos that would show what you're talking about here. Thanks

Toby

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts