The Lure Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's almost imposible to get half decent piccies of anything over a yard in length, with teeth and attitude, when your doing your "lone scout" bit. From the last couple of trips there's been a "Bakers Dozen" of fish off the top (eight doubles to 16+ included), so time spent does pay off. This one was taken by a very infrequent passer-by, a good fit chunky 14+.

For an Apex Predator, these are NOT as resilient a fish as some people like to think.....and each to his own opinion.

Some waters display a very obvious lack of oxygen content, all the classic signs, for whatever reasons......and a fair few Pike seem/appear to "sulk" on some waters, before they eventualy decide to move off.

I'm curious about a "trick" I use to help the good fish back, can't remember "why" the method works and don't know if the Pike is especialy suited to it as a species??

If they turn belly up, I have on a number of occasions, placed them on soft underwater weed whilst they are in this position and left them there (sometimes for up to around 10mins).....checking that their gills are pumping.....these fish have then been gently righted' and move off well under their own steam.

Is there something somewhere about somehow inducing a sort of "catatonic state" here in some species of fish?? How does this work?? Magnetic Field??

Never seemed to have this occasional trouble with Bass.....

Vidar........Andy......Dave????????

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5968802991/

Mmmmm......can't seem to get the piccie' up.....no matter.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
That sounds like a nice session indeed, Alan. It is hard to get a decent piccie when you are fishing alone and all I can suggest is getting familiar with the timimg settings on your camera. As regards the pike revival techniques, I have little experience. Sometimes they do seem to sulk on the bottom for a while after being returned but always seem to recover and make their way off.

Reactions: Alan Behenna

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have found sometimes with bigger wrasse that they will kind of lose all their bearings, and not be able to right themselves for a few minutes before all of a sudden they come to life and shoot back down into the snags. Obviously this is salt water compared to fresh water, but interesting nonetheless.

Lovely pike by the way!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure if this helps at all with any recovery problems:

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/tips/gassingup.html

I'm glad to say I've never had the problem with fish rolling, maybe because the venues I fish tend to be shallower rivers rather than deeper lakes/pits and the average fish size is on the smallish side so getting the fish in quickly isn't a problem, but a couple have 'sulked' a little before moving off before. But it doesn't sound like you're far off the mark with what you've been doing Alan

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Gents,

Tim:

Lone piccies' are a biccttcchhh.....my secret nightmare is a double-figure Bass or that 20+ Pike....and it's me+the fish+the camera......:wink:

Marc:

Whatever is happening using this method, it appears to/or can work well on a lot of fish from a lot of species, not all of course. Never turned a Bass over yet, (there's a few up on the link), might try it next time, curious.

Simon:

Have only sometimes encountered/needed to do this (so far) on shallow poorly oxygenated waters....thanks for the link.

:mrgreen:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts