The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
What stunning fish they are! I saw Wilson catch one in the US in shallow water on the fly I think it was, they call them Sea Robins? Either way, a work of art

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
A fine catch on a soft lure! Beautiful fish and they eat well too!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Nice fish Pat....There was a spat of these caught from Balcary in Dumfries seven or eight years ago if I remember rightly... Only time I've ever caught them from the shore and certainly not that size........:shock::shock:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We pick them up on bait at the mouth of the various estuaries flowing into Cork Harbour, but this is the first on an SP for me and they're usually not this big. In fact at this end of the country that's as big as they usually get (not like the monsters they get up the West & Nothern coasts). Having said that here's a recent specimen caught outside the harbour http://corkharbouranglinghub.blogspot.com/2010/08/specimen-tub-gurnard.html

·
Registered
247 Posts
Great gurnard Pat, I notice you're using a jig head, which one? At the moment I'm trying to buy weedless jig heads but am having no luck. also what SP are you using ?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
231 Posts
Is that the well known estuary? I hope you have picked up the new issue of sea angler mag, to see my mug :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts