The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

I've put a few posts up but am now introducing myself properly.

I'm Nick.
I was born in the UK but grew up in Australia and moved to Ireland in 2001.

My fishing experiences in Oz have left me with a love of light tackle (including fly tackle)
I've caught some good fish down the years in Oz, the US and Ireland (including a 6.25lb bass and a 14lb pike on 5lb powerpro and 6lb mason hard leader)

I make my own soft plastic lures and use Australian techniques and tackle and it works here as well. I also tie fully dressed salmon flies.

Looking forward to chatting with you all and learning more about bass, wrasse and HRF/LRF.
Hopefully as well I can post about my first mackerel (yes this beginners species has eluded me so far) and my first Irish squid!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Definitely, great to have you here Nick! Always keen to hear about any Aussie stuff especially!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No probs guys
What do you want to know?

Nick

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe some pics of aussie SPs to start?
(cue drooling ...)

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How to target Black Bream on soft plastics! Any starting points?
Light to ultralight tackle
Very light jig heads (1/32 or 1/16 oz) - and squidgy wriggler 100mm in bloodworm colour - good place to start!

Bream in the UK is different to bream in Oz though
Oz bream are everywhere Estuary, brackish, rocks, surf and even offshore

UK bream aren't as wide spread as far as I can make out

Theres a gereat DVD whcih shows bream being caught on surface SPs
I'll see if i can code it to you tube or find a link

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm noting that nearly all those sp's have active tails. Is that common for Bream ?
By active tails you mean curl tails?
pretty much
bream are aggressive but have small mouths
the flick baits shown are great thrown at structure (rocky banks, snags etc in estuaries)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Hi Nick, welcome to the forum. I lived in OZ for a year and caught bream in Sydney Harbour. Try using your bream tackle and techniques for flounders, it works! Have you caught much on your bream kit in Ireland? I am sure when the shad are around they would be great fun on bream gear with small plugs and spinners.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Hello Nick, nice to have you onboard. Yes indeed you will be quized about the bream, we do have alot of them here but no one has worked out a plan on lures yet, new and exciting time ahead. I also thought a stick type softy would be better than a twisty tail, grub or paddle tail.....looking forward to working out how to get small lures down deep......?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
G'Day Nick !!!

You have a really interesting fishing background, and you are gonna fit right in here !! Brilliant to have someone new with some different experience and thoughts.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Simon
Hopefully at least I'll give a different viewpoint on some stuff like lure and tackle

For the bream - where are you finding them? estuaries, rocks, beaches, inshore, offshore?
Oz bream are either a very small HB or an actioned SP - very few on stick bait styles with the exception of the squidgy flickbaits shown in the pic above

nick

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Nick, welcome to the forum. I lived in OZ for a year and caught bream in Sydney Harbour. Try using your bream tackle and techniques for flounders, it works! Have you caught much on your bream kit in Ireland? I am sure when the shad are around they would be great fun on bream gear with small plugs and spinners.
I mainly use my bream gear to be honest
in "conventional" tackle I have 2 outfits that I use for 99% of my fishing

a 4 piece 6'0" St Croix custom rod rated 4-8lb and a stella 1000FD - 5lb powerpro
I use this for about 85% of my fishing
a 3 piece 7'0" St Croix custom rod rated 6-12lb with a stella C3000JDM and 10lb powerpro
I use this for about 15% of my fishing

(the balance is a second cheaper but similar outfit to the light one that I sometime carry ready rigged for dropshotting, and a 14 ft float rod which I use for roach and perch and also for light bait fishing for -hopefully- flounder et)

I'm hoping for some flounder action this year, and i know the river where the shad run in Ireland so maybe I can time it right this year ;-)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Dublin spots

Hi Nick

Enjoyed your intro - if you want to hook up sometime I can put you on a few sea trout spots around Dublin - they are quite thick at the mo both Northside & Southside - I got a 44cm fish Sunday night on an Ecogear VX40. Bream are the dogs - I got a 1.5kg odd fish back in SA many years ago - it made a deep impression on me! Love the queenies and trevallies too...

Regards

Rolfe

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Nick

Enjoyed your intro - if you want to hook up sometime I can put you on a few sea trout spots around Dublin - they are quite thick at the mo both Northside & Southside - I got a 44cm fish Sunday night on an Ecogear VX40. Bream are the dogs - I got a 1.5kg odd fish back in SA many years ago - it made a deep impression on me! Love the queenies and trevallies too...

Regards

Rolfe
Hi Rolfe

That sounds good!
I have stuff on the next 2 weekends but keep in touch and we'll organise something

I have a few ecogear VX35's ;-)
Don't hear them mentioned much in Europe - our new secret weapon eh?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts