Hi guys what may I be doing wrong? | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Hi guys what may I be doing wrong?

Discussion in 'The Learning Zone' started by {name}, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Sandeel

Hi guys,

Someone suggested I joined here and that I may like the site. What a great site it looks to be I have read many posts. My dad and I are fishing the Isle of Wight by boat and shore. We have had bass on the boat using soft plastics but I have been trying mainly plugs of the shore and had nothing. I have tried the Rapala, Yozuri and so on many colours and shallow divers. I have just recently tried some skimmers but not given them many goes so early days. I use 2 ft appox of 20 fluro loop my plugs on and that goes to my 8 lb braid. I have put a lot of hours in with my plugs I must have 20 odd that I have tried and still no joy. I have tried the walk the dog but the Yozuri ones look to swim good even without that. I have tried only in daylight hours but hope to try in the dark soon. Is it a waste of time if it is a bright day with a good bit of sun? Perhaps there is a member / members on the Isle of Wight. I guess there is few bass about these days but I put any we do catch back.

Many thanks for any help and happy fishing

Steve

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bass

You're not doing anything wrong. The British shore caught bass record was an IOW fish I'm sure. You just need to find them. There's loads of info on here to help you, welcome to the forum.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Striper

you will improve your catch rate if you fish first and last light. Dont bother with surface lures in bright sun,divers and things like sg eel ok on a very bright day, and most importantly there need to be fish infront of you.If you havnt sussed a mark out yet(knowing when they pass by) then keep moving.

Any particular reason you are using such light braid ? 8 lb seems a bit of a risk if fishing typical bass ground ( reefs,rocks,barnacles and weedy areas etc )..............ok if you only fish over clean sand and have the drag set pretty light, but any really decent fish will be pretty knackered by the time you land her. I would guess most folk use braid ranging from 15 to 25lb, a few going a bit less or more.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Pollock

Lure fishing for bass doesn't always produce immediate results. I've found it to be a case of putting the hours and the yards whilst learning what works.

Surface lures work perfectly well in clear, shallow water and bright sun. Such conditions have produced both my PB and my best session for weight of bass.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sandeel

Hi Graham,
    I am not that used to forums so hope this reply works! Thank you for your msg I will keep on plugging away>
    Many thanks
    Steve

6. Sandeel

Hello Trevor, thank you for the pointers. I will try first and last thing for sure. As for marks it seems a little grim to me by wathching the plotter on the boat where we have fished there just has not been fish like we would have thought. Even some of the better marks have shown to not have a great deal wrecks etc. I think I will keep moving like you say to see what I can work out!

As for the braid I was thinking it may be too light. The main reasons I went for it was it casts nice and that I had it from my carp fishing which I now do little of. I think I will step the braid up to 15lb and give that a go. I may aslo try a good quality mono.

Many thanks

Steve

7. Mackerel

hi steve. eight pound braid is far to light i use 28 pound nanofil. its cheap casts miles and
    have no probs but it frays where your finger goes when casting i just cut that bit off after a
    while. never had a wind not. dont use mono for main line it gives to much. do what trev
    says its spot on. good luck .and keep at it

8. Mackerel

hi steve. eight pound braid is far to light i use 28 pound nanofil. its cheap casts miles and
    have no probs but it frays where your finger goes when casting i just cut that bit off after a
    while. never had a wind not. dont use mono for main line it gives to much. do what trev
    says its spot on. good luck .and keep at it

• Like Like x 1
  9. Salmon

I think that bass on the whole are not difficult to catch. I think 90% of catching a bass is actually finding the bass. That is the very tricky part and the thing to put the most effort into. If you find them, you'll catch them. Don't get me wrong, I think when you've found them, you can tweak things to boost your catch rate still. Its possible to flog the same spot for hours without catching, and blame it on not using the right plug etc etc, when in all reality, there probably is not a single bass within 500m of you. Start with finding shoals of bait fish, beds of worm, freshwater going into the sea, harbours etc, and go from there.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Striper

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. Plenty help on here, as you've already found out. Keep trying, don't get too disheartened, it's rarely a case of catching from the shore in your first few sessions unless you're lucky enough to have someone take you under their wing and put you on the fish. When you get your first fish you'll be buzzing, especially if you've done the research and leg-work yourself. Best of luck and make sure you post in the catch reports when it happens for you.:)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sandeel

Hi Andy, yes so true many trips this year with the plugs and no sign of a bass!
    Many thanks
    Steve
    Hi James, thank you for the advice on what to go for it sounds good and I shall order a spool and see how it goes. Many thanks Steve

12. Sandeel

Hi Mark, tar very much for your reply. What you say is spot on and makes a lot of sense, it has given me an idea of where to try next. I know it is not easy to find them, tricky times ahead I think!
    Many thanks Steve

13. Sandeel

Hi Paul, thank you very much for the welcome. Yes, a lot of help from my first post on here, I am very pleased about that. I will keep on trying and all the time am looking forward to my first one on plugs from the shore for some years. I hope when I put all the tips together that should help a lot.
    Many thanks
    Steve

14. Sea Trout

Mark, you are absolutey right

15. Snapper

16. Snapper

I am responding to your advertisement in regarding the Financial Reporting Manager position. anthem essay examples Public phd thesis in marketing project topics or ideas suggestions for ph.
    Step by step writing of proposal and also personal statement med. TYPE OF REPORT 4 PERIOD COVERED Master ' s Thesis December 1984 6. If you have ever wanted to write a chapter book, you may have found it difficult to get started. recent autobiography books Printerand a shortessay on butterfly combined to deprive the adverb of its negative particle. to post a resume and receive job offers from employers, please, register on our. storyline creator / creepy idea generator / supernatural film plotter.
    significance to let the people know how important is the safety of planet earth. such as Every event has a cause and Human beings have free will, seem. Full uk essay academic writing services his death after and enters his created upon per new journey retraced academic essay writing services uk which. Dee's education has been extremely important in forging her character, but at the. Load uc application essay samples for free without registration zip. http://fantasy-world.info/2018/12/15/sample-process-analysis-essay-writing

gfhelp writing a process essayk
    tvprofessional personal statement writing servicesc
    http://m88-asia.net/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=18033#p18033
    constitution homework help
    aacpl homework help
    evacuation homework help
    http://kiekko.4fan.cz/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=176
    social anxiety disorder case study