The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi lads looking for some advice as im going to buy a new reel,ive been looking at getting a diawa certate 2010,Branzino 3000,Shimano stella 4000fd or a vs100 any info is much appreciated as me head is wrecked trying to decide,wish I could buy them all ha ha.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have the branzino 3000. "Branzino" means bass in Italian, this reel has been designed for this fish. Cannot fault mine and it can take a good dunking once in a while and still as smooth as ever. Also it is available in the UK/Island so you have the advantage of after sales.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I'd go for the Certate or the Branzino personally. The new Certates are actually pretty good value I think.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Evening Ken, reels are a personal choice methinks.....I have got 2 vs100, and will not be needing another for a few years I doubt. I still use my stradic, but not when I'm off to certain marks :wink:

The shims are silky smooth and have perfect line lay and great service in the UK.....but it makes you think why they need such a good service dept, maybe a few too many fancy gubbins inside to go wrong?
Can't comment on the diawa :???:
The VS is 'tight' to wind, but then it should be or the water would get in :-D The line lay looks dreadful, but I've never suffered with wind knots or the like....and the spools are fairly full with braid. Trouble is the cost of the spare spools, hence the reason to buy two ;)

Try them all mate, but I don't believe any will make you fish any better.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Ken , I have the Branzino 3000 . a great reel silky smooth and its almost 2yrs old , and a spare spool for it , not ( cheap ) spare spools .
I also have the certate 4000 a smooth robust reel , very nice piece of kit .. The Vs 150 bailess is my main reel a real work horse + spare spool , as simon said not the greatest line lay but
never had a problem with the dreaded wind knots , they also get easier to wind after a time ... a bit like running a car in really . It dont mind getting Dunked either ..
End of the day Ken its personal choice !! what you can afford.
Never owned a stella so cant comment on it ..

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I killed my Branzino within a year, I mean its wrecked. I did dunk it twice right under for minutes the first time I used it though. If you go for a Branzino be careful of the drag washers too, if you dont replace the spool properly you will squeeze the first felt washer out of the top of the spool, mine went within a month. There are two bearings inside the bail roller, I replaced them three times, and I had to take a bearing to a bearing workshop over here as Daiwa never had any, I waited months, they never came. Strangely I ordered two spare spools for mine too, by the time the spools arrived, about 7 months later, the reel was wrecked, so I have two brand new spools for one if any one requires..... I will admit though that I loved the reel, and I was fairly tough on it, but I wish I had gone for a Stella 4000FD tbh.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi my fave is the vs 100, I also have a daiwa exist branzino hyper custom which to be fair is rarely used, as iam a van staal convert, Its personal choice really!! if you want superb line lay and smoothness, go for a daiwa or a stella, if its a reel that can take real abuse and regular dunking in saltwater and will last a lifetime, as long as its serviced its got to be the van staal.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I have a Branzino and I cant really fault it.
The line lay isn't as good as a Shimano but not far off.
She is wonderfully smooth and has the most wonderful bail arm I have seen.
Has to be the 'sexiest' reel in the world,,,,,Quality product and you do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your input guys im still debating over which reel, ive had a bit of a disaster with shimano reels over the past year my saragosa 4000 and twinpower2500 both reels took a dunk and even though i rinsed,dryed and oiled them they were never the same the bail arm went stiff on both and they never ran as smooth(bit of grinding) the twinpower is getting serviced at the min and the saragosa has been serviced and is ok but the bailarm is still stiff,Im considering a van staal but dont know how the warranty works do you have to send it to the US every year and if you dont does the warranty become void?,also I was reading that Van staal reels are now made in China would that effect the quality of the newer ones ??
I know reels like rods are a personal thing but its hard to choose when you cant get hold of most of these reels in Ireland the only reel ive handled is a shimano stella and i know it gets rave reviews but I just keep thinking about will I get the same problems as with the other shimanos I own thats why Im swaying toward a Diawa or Vs .

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Ken, I have both a made in China and a US version........both look the same but I'd have to say that the Chinese one is slightly stiffer. I thought that VS in China was only putting the components together, they come from the same place as the US made ones?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi Ken,
I have a twinpower and a pre 2010 certate and I would choose the certate hands down. (**** what is your opinion on the certate).
I have never held a van staal and my sense is (love to get input from van staal lads) that it would be worth holding one and getting a feel for it before the purchase as they seem to have a unique action that may be to the like or dislike of some. Am I off beam lads?

Colm

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks Simon for that the Vs seems to be loved by anyone tha has one.
Ill try and meet up with you next week at some stage Sam it would be great to get a look at them ,ill pm you

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I have two VS reels one with bail and one without both are excellent reels if you wanta reel that will last for ages get one it may seem like a lot of money but you get what you pay for in this case. I am not one for washing down my fishing gear after each trip so VS are ideal for me

·
Registered
519 Posts
I am not one for washing down my fishing gear after each trip so VS are ideal for me
same here, got 2 vs100's, these get abused, drowned on a very regular occurence, unwashed, not oiled, dropped on rocks, sand etc,they just keep on going, the down side is there not as light as other reels of the same size, line lay is crap in comparison to other top end reels, but if you want a buy once reel that will last a very long time, then the vs is for you, i love mine, they, like my boga grip are some of the best money i've spent over the years.

kev

1 - 18 of 18 Posts