The Lure Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at work and showing a colleague how the Mirage drive works on my Kayak. I was out on the weekend for the first proper session with my mate Mark. We started nice and early and finished pretty late, no fish were caught unfortunately, and the closest we got was watching a 3lb Pollack hit my lure then have second thoughts when it realised what it was! Mean while I was thinking if only we could move from this spot to further round, this would unfortunately take hours and a lot of effort.

Anyway the comments often arise that the Hobie kayaks are easy to use and it’s an easy way to get around and fish at the same time. Also one thing that is apparent is I can go a lot further, for a lot longer, and use less energy (just realised that anywhere else that sentence would sound dodgy!). I love fishing of the yak, great exercise, easy to access to those hard to reach places and the maintenance cost is non existent. The one down side of all Kayaks is getting from A to B quickly, this does limit the distance you can go from shore and boats can enjoy the fact that they can get there and a yak can’t.

Then I saw this:

http://www.hobie-kayak.com/cms/index.php?page=hobie-evolve

Stunned is the word, and I am actually thinking of asking about the price. Although if the Mirage drive is £600 god knows how much this is.

Anyone tried one of these?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
OMG - what will they think of next? I don't even know what a mirage drive is either! Too many gadgets...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Your on your own carrying your yak if you get one of those.

It's already three times the weight of mine.

(Maybe you should just buy a little boat?)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice piece of kit but as Mark said the weight is a big downer for a speed of 2 kts, you should be able to paddle along at more than that with arm power without killing yourself.
My Chartplotter shows a speed O T G as 3.9kts on slack, even in tide on the East coast we mantain a stedy 2 plus kts,maybe a change of paddle or change of paddle stroke would help,and the best part of arm power is that you enjoy your pint a lot more on the way home.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts

Presumably you'd have to register it and get insured* as a powered craft?

Maybe its about time this was brought in for kayaks, no different to a surf board really?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

Maybe its about time this was brought in for kayaks, no different to a surf board really?
And now people come out on them in the middle of the surf catching waves! If one of thems things hits you, you'll know about it!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The boat is a possible idea if that thing would cost me $1900 and I can only get 2kts out of it! Whats the point I can get better than that by pedalling

That is actuallly a good point Paul surely it would fall into a catagory where insurance is needed if powered. Don't think you'd need insurance for a manual powered Yak, the insurance on surf boards is for 3rd party accidents really, your very unlikely to hit a person in a Yak plus surfing on a wave brings in a certain lack of control compared to paddling across a bay.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Just wait until there is the first casualty JP and see what the nanny state does.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Thats true, a very good point there. I've got enough costs with everything else at the mo last thing I'd need is a lawsuit!
Dry suit, wetsuit, 3 piece suit. I don't think you need a lawsuit as well. You'd never have room in your wardrobe:-D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts