The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I was wondering if one of the more experienced LRF crowd could enlighten me if I am reading the difference between solid and hollow tip LRF rods right.
From what babelfish has been able to translate for me it seems that solid tip rods are aimed at small jigheads/carolina rigged SP's and maximising bite detection, and hollow tips are designed for primarily for jigs, small hard baits. I guess there is alot of crossover as the bite detection on Mike Hayes Tenryu is stunning to say the least.
But am I close, or have I gotten the completely wrong end of the stick.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Sounds about right actually Dave. I like the solid tips generally for small soft baits when you're not working a lure too aggressively (like you would lifting or ripping a jig/vib), and they're especially good at feeling bites on the drop. For slow retrieves and swinging/dropping a bait they're superb.

I prefer hollow tips if I'm either fishing a static soft bait on the bottom (shakey head type)(HRF included) or for fishing metal baits where like I just said, the slightly slower action stops the tip from completely folding over as you rip a hard bait forwards/upwards.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I experienced solid and tubular tips....but for LRF I think a solid (carbon) tip is the best. My rod is now a Shimano Diaflash 0,8-8 gr. and I found it's ok both with soft bait and small (3-7 gr.) metal jig. It's very sensible but not too much soft in the range power of the rod....

·
Banned
792 Posts
@Keith: would like to have a look into your tackle house...

must be a house to my belief. Do you sell some of your rods from time to time or do you get them for free for testing?
^^
Cheers
Thomas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts