The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So moving along a bit here...

Made these this morning out of modelling clay. Just waiting for the next batch of RTV Silicone to arrive...

Any comments??

Lure1.JPG 5 inch ribbed paddletail.

Lure2.JPG 7 inch, thin ribbed whip tail, hopefully for a snake like action.

Lure3.JPG 3 inch dumpy ribbed paddle tail. Wrasse killer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Nice one Andy :clap::clap:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Look good Andy.

I'd go for a more 'aggresive' rib like the xlayer myself, what do you think?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look good Andy.

I'd go for a more 'aggresive' rib like the xlayer myself, what do you think?
I have plenty of clay left, just a small pack goes a long way. I may try and make a raised rib as well rather than making indent, i.e. small sausages moulded on the underside.

As for colours, I have green brown and purple in mind but also have pearl white colours plus glitter and scent and the options of two tones etc etc.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a few more master lures which i knocked up this morning with the last of the small pack of clay I ordered.

SquareTail.JPG

^ Ribbed, square tail, big eye, about 4 inches long.

SmSmelt.JPG

^ Smelt, about 4 inches long, intended to dead stick with the odd twitch of the whip tail.

BigSmelt.JPG

^ Larger smelt, about 7 inches long I guess. Same idea.

Attachments

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Andy

I can see a change of career here mate. You could become a plastic surgeon ;-)

Very impressed BTW you can do my nose job any day.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just waiting for the silicone to arrive so i can make the moulds and then the actual lures from what I have left of my bottle of plastisol. it does go a long way though I will admit but wrassing just lately and you lose a good 10 lures a session so it all adds up.

I can't wait to see what the action is like in the water!! Bass open at the end of the week so I am hoping I can get some made for that, how special would it be to land a weigher in an open comp on a 100% home designed and made lure...!!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I de-moulded my clay lures out of their silicone prison this morning and tidied up the silicome master mould so I can make the home made ones tonight.

I have documented every stage of the process with photos from hand moulding, mixing and pouring the silicone compound and will do right up to pouring and showing you the finished lures.

The clay lures were unfortunately destroyed in removing them form the mould, they had dried up and fell apart, especially trying to extract paddle tails from the silicone, if you think about it the "root" of the tail is narrower than the paddle tail itself so you can't have a really hard master lure to mould from else you won't be able to get it out, and also, if it is not 100% flat on the top, you have a problem with the silicone which you will see an example of in the photos. The moulds are looking good though!!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
The clay models look 'the biz' Andy :clap:. Your mouling skills are ridiculously good !!!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Having been inspired by members such as Andy making his own lures I have had my first attempt at making lures with old soft plastics whilst waiting for the arrival of plastic. I made the mold from a mixture of a sluggo with the tail of a swim senko. I hae put a rattle in them and will be testing these out over the next week or so

The mold

I am grateful for lure members giving me some hints lets see if the fish like them

·
Registered
229 Posts
Great, another plastisol addict!

Look good Alan, I'm sure the fish will agree.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good work. It's really satisfying but I will add that own designs don't always work... Of my two big paddle tails only one does anything but it does it well!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts