Home made sauce. | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Home made sauce.

Discussion in 'Tackle & Tips' started by {name}, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Snapper

Andy made a comment in his U.V. thread which I find is at the heart of fishing for me;
    I wanted to share something that has given me the edge on some occasions. It's something I believe the guys in the Channel Islands use a bit and have known about quite some time, but recently I have had a few PM's about how to do it.
    *It* is how to make home made scent.

Well it's quite simple really, what you will need is;

1 Pot of Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

[​IMG]

Essential Oils

[​IMG]

Colourant

[​IMG]

Glitter

[​IMG]

1 Milk Pan
    1 Cooker
    1 Spoon

Take the Petroleum Jelly and spoon it out into your milk pan. I wouldn't be using your wife's favourite, I bought a cheap one from Wilkinson for £1.50.

• Heat the jelly until it melts (just like you do chocolate)
    • Add some drops of your chosen Essential oil and stir
    • Pour the solution back into the pot and allow to cool for a while
    • Whilst the petroleum jelly is in a liquid state add your colourant and glitter
    • Screw on lid and shake
    • Continue shaking until the mixture sets back into a salve like state.

You will end up with something that looks like this;

[​IMG]

Basically it is a very cost effective scent that can be smeared all over your lures. It's better than a lot of shop bought stuff as it stays on for quite a few casts. I find lures with slits for the hooks are really good as you can smear this stuff in there and it'll hold well.
    The glitter is supposed to look like scales falling from a dying baitfish and is therefore a visual stimulant.

I have chosen to picture aniseed as my oil because its my most effective for a range of species/conditions, but Vanilla can be good and I sometimes use the winterised Pikepro oils, available in a range of fishy scents.
    You can also use the same colourant that you would use in making soft plastics and in fact it probably mixes better being solvent based. I use food colouring as its cheap and unharmful for the environment.

I guess you could and I intend to use a UV agent in the mix, coz as Andy says "Any edge or advantage...."

I don't tend to use the sauce from the off, but do use it when in a tough spot and have found Wrasse like it especially.
    But there you have it, a cheap and effective scent for your baits, I hope you also find it of use.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 21
  2. Sea Trout

thanks Lee something i was thinking about just the other day. My dad uses 'glug' for his boilies carp fishing and it got the brain ticking :-D The glitter is a great addition too :clap:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pollock

5* thread, thx for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sea Trout

Ive been meaning to make a pot of this for ages. Defo genna do it this time. Well worth keeping in the bag for a rainy day. Excelent guide. :clap:

5. Striper

Great! Can it be used on the missus too? She loves sparkly things. :???:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Snapper

you could, though I'd recommend not using a fishy scent.

Better used on 'er wrasse though I reckon.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mackerel

Great stuff thanks for sharing.

8. Striper

Good stuff Lee. I especially like the idea of the glitter falling off like scales. If there's one thing Perch love and that is bleak on my river. If you just so much as touch them their scales fall off. So from now on my lures will be Uv refective with scrummy glitter & flavoured gel, rattle up it's bum and a spinner blade in there for good measure. That should cover all angles (and I'm not being sarcastic) :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Guest

Great thread.

Yes people do use DIY stuff down this way and it is a bit like the days of the old mullet gurus with their shirvy (groundbait) - everyone has their own "secret" recipe based on what you have set out. Some do not use PJ though and make more of a "glug".

I have found that gentle flavours appeal to wrasse, but only in surprisingly small amounts, applied every 10 casts or so. The really honking stuff can be pasted on to pull a bass out of rough water on a good day so deserves a try.

Nowadays I don't fish so much, so limit myself to shop bought stuff, with Illex and SmellyJelly being my favourites.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Snapper

what is 'glug'?

11. Sea Trout

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pollock

From my freshwater carp days.... Use glycerine instead of petroleum jelly. Kinder to all.

13. Striper

Great guide Lee. Get some UV finger print anti theft powder to mix in. Ebay special ;)

• Like Like x 2