The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK
If you've been following the home made SP thread you'll know what I've promised (threatened? ;-))

If you're nervous about making molds and SPs and want sometghing easy to try first this is the one

ingredients:
small jar vaseline (€1 in Tesco)
scent (I like aniseed and crab, but you can get just about any scent you want now - coffee, earthworm, shrimp, shad, clam, cherry, chocolate, vanilla the list goes on) - try and use decent quality pure scents as sold for making SPs if possible - they smell better and stronger and don't go "off"

instructions (follow closely)
1) take lid off vaseline
2) microwave slowly - I start at 50% power for 3 mins, then bursts of 30 secs at a time until soft and gloopy - Vaseline will NOT got completely liquid it just loosens
3) stir in scent - use about twice as much for this as you would for an SP (about 1 teaspoon for 200ml vaseline) - stir thoroughly
4) microwave for a further 2 bursts of 30 secs each
5) stir
6) leave overnight to reset
7) use sparingly, liberally or however the heck you want :-o

Get yourself in SWMBOs good book by making a pure vanilla version with the expensive real vanilla essence or a chocolate version with 100% cocoa powder - pour/scrape into a fancy box/container and give it to her as lip balm (or use it yourself for those cold winter night fishing trips but with a more manly flavour gin is nice or whiskey :badlol:)

yes its that easy
aniseed gives best results as its a very strong smell
but a bit of something fishy (I like crab) gives it a nice usable smell

try experimenting with colours
flouro yellow is good if you fish with live bait
shedding scale effect can be done by adding white pearl powder (SP supplys)

This is also cheap
You can make a lifetimes supply (even for someoe like Keith who seems to fish more than I fart) for about €10
and this stuff works - it won't attract fish like squidgy s-factor - but it doesn't frighten them and when they "taste" they hold on longer

good luck one and all
enjoy

Nick

·
Registered
437 Posts
(or use it yourself for those cold winter night fishing trips but with a more manly flavour gin is nice or whiskey :badlol:)
Cheers for the vaseline tip Nick! Lol

I have also heard that garlic is another strong attractant - probably has similar properties too aniseed. Hope S-factor makes it over one day.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the vaseline tip Nick! Lol

I have also heard that garlic is another strong attractant - probably has similar properties too aniseed. Hope S-factor makes it over one day.
garlic!
that was the other scent I was trying to remember!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wish
only way for now is to order pro series lures from oz
the latest ones have it in a nifty screw top resealable tube rather than the flat pack

Reactions: Ben Pratt

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yep, cheers Nick.
A bit worrying buying vaseline on an island of only 2200 people, but I'll risk it!

Reckon a red aniseed with some holo glitter will be good.
Mind you I guess you can use cheapo glitter, not the stuff I use in the SPs?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, cheers Nick.
A bit worrying buying vaseline on an island of only 2200 people, but I'll risk it!
:lol:

Reckon a red aniseed with some holo glitter will be good.
Mind you I guess you can use cheapo glitter, not the stuff I use in the SPs?
yeah any glitter is fine
but colour and glitter is less of a concern than the secnt
you're only rubbing in a smear and any colour you add in a scent mix may colour your fingers and your lure as well
remember this stuff sticks to the lure
its not a wafting trail like a spray type scent would provide

nick

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
229 Posts
Only on a Saturday night, after a few, in the privacy of my own home!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried any fish based sent concoctions, I'm thinking along the lines of cod liver oil, mackerel oil, pilchard oil etc? I usually bring a bottle of mackerel oil with me when I'm fishing with sp's and will occasionally dip the sp's in it to conceal any sents that might put the fish off but the oil washes off pretty quick. However after reading your post I'm thinking that I might try mixing some cod liver oil / mackerel oil with the vaseline and maybe adding some glitter to the mix, anyone ever try it and more to the point have any results?

Actually where do you get aniseed oil, is it something that you can get in a chemists or possibly in the cooking section of a supermarket?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried any fish based sent concoctions, I'm thinking along the lines of cod liver oil, mackerel oil, pilchard oil etc? I usually bring a bottle of mackerel oil with me when I'm fishing with sp's and will occasionally dip the sp's in it to conceal any sents that might put the fish off but the oil washes off pretty quick. However after reading your post I'm thinking that I might try mixing some cod liver oil / mackerel oil with the vaseline and maybe adding some glitter to the mix, anyone ever try it and more to the point have any results?

Actually where do you get aniseed oil, is it something that you can get in a chemists or possibly in the cooking section of a supermarket?
dave

you can buy shad and herring scents for adding to SPS
thats where i got my aniseed scent - its not expensive
i imagibe they will have something like mackerel or pilchard or something liek that as well

nick

·
Registered
323 Posts
rumours abound squidgy s-factor might be band from tournaments bream sorry brim never happen when they can youse berkley gulps saltwater but it is good publicty and it will never be marketed on its own yeah right 12 months shelves full

·
Banned
792 Posts
Nick, ever used iodine? A danish angler once caught like hell beside me and had a bottle of iodine and made a little drop on his lures from time to time. He told me sandeel do smell like iodine!

Forgot to try this a long time...

Cheers
Thomas

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First time I've heard that one doc
i have heard that sand eel smell of iodine though so it kinda makes sense
I still have plenty of aniseed and crab sauce and plenty of s-factor for my own use so someone else can test this one ...
I'll let them ;-)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Doc said:
Nick, ever used iodine? A danish angler once caught like hell beside me and had a bottle of iodine and made a little drop on his lures from time to time. He told me sandeel do smell like iodine!
Doc,
That's Yellow Tail Lug Juices. Don't know if you use Yellow Tails but the iodine in their body juices burns your hands when using them. So I would certainly believe it and have been tempted but not brave enough to try it....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts