1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Blimmin good I reckon Colin!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Excellent stuff Colin. They look really good mate :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Martin,they are all made using hardwood usually mahogany because it's easy to source and work with,the required profile is roughly cut out using a skill saw/jigsaw and then finnished using a wood file or ordinary metal files and finnally sandpaper to finnish.Now fit the hook hangers (the ones i use are made by rapala )plus the hooks ,you now need to balance the lure to give whatever action you require,This is done by drilling 4-5mm holes in the belly of the lure around 10mm deep and filling with molten lead,the position of the holes will determine the lures action ie wieghted hole near the head of the lure will give the lure a forward rolling action when worked with a jerking rod action,also by adding or removing lead you can create floating,sinking or suspending lures.The paint i use is Plasti-cote spray cans from B&Q , different layers/colours can be overlaid and using homemade stensills you can create all sorts of pattern's.I have added a couple more pics to illistrate .
These two lures were origonally made for pike fishing but when the bass are on the mackerel they just have to work!! They are 7ins in lenght and weigh 2oz /2.5oz so heavy gear is required,i have tried them and look fantastic in the water.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice work, could I suggest some other timbers? The old favourite balsa, the new flavour rubber tree timber, american wrc, australian beech wood and for the adventerous palm timber. So many choices!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts