Homemade topwaters | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Homemade topwaters

Discussion in 'DIY & Home Made Lures' started by {name}, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Pollock

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Borrowed a lathe and started trying to make a few top waters to pass the time.
    My first effort, the yellow, black and white patch style thing is pretty rough but i learned a bit. The action is great btw. The yellow and white with red eyes is the latest one to be finished and I feel I've made some progress with the finish. The two unfinished are the latest builds.
    Sorry for the randomness of the pics, it was a pain in the arse trying to get them in order on my iPad.
    Each one teaches me something new, I've had a couple of fails too but it's been nice experimenting with shapes and seeing what does what.

• Like Like x 18
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Pike

Nice one Pete, they look decent. Are you adding any extra weight to them or just the weight of the wood?

I've got a little wood lathe out in the garage and have been knocking up a few casting eggs over winter. What are you using for the hook and clip eyes?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pollock

Stainless hook eyes from lure factors m8. I'm starting the hole with a hand driver and 1.2mm bit then epoxy the screw eyes in. After that i test them in the sink with the hooks and split rings on, adding weight to the tail using waterproof tape until they sit correctly. Then they get drilled, the weight added to the tail, wood filler, then paint and epoxy.

My first couple were turned from an old broom handle and only need a gram of weight to get the arse way down. Now I'm using some hardwood dowel and they take at least double that to get them right. I'm hoping the dowel will be better because it's more buoyant and apparently that's better for top waters.

4. Bass

Impressive work for a first attempt, I'd be worried at loosing one as I hate loosing my own flies!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Striper

Which epoxy are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pollock

Gorilla epoxy from Wilkos, thought about some expensive stuff but I realised I'm not too precious about them 8)
    Tbh, they've been made very cheaply.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Perch

I make a few lures myself but I must admit the thought of losing something special on screw in eyes doesn't sit well with me. Have you put a spring balance on them and tested them to destruction. I use a wire frame but the eyes would be far simpler and neater.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pollock

Brian I'd thought about through wiring but after doing a bit research I noticed some of the stripers guys just epoxy in screw eyes. Plus it would have also meant more investment in tools. Their fish get bigger than ours and they seem to manage ok.
    I will test this evening to see if I can pull one out.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Perch

Don't brake a good lure, stick one in a bit of wood let it set and give it hell lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Banned

I've not tried screw in eyes as like Brian in a bit wary of them pulling out.
    I suppose a lot will depend on the density of the wood used??
    They look good Peter, please give us some feed back on how they behave in action

• Like Like x 2
  11. Pollock

Shaun, yep wood density makes a difference apparently. For instance balsa has to be through wired because it's so soft but makes great top waters because it's so buoyant.
    They all sit tail down with the head just out of the water, I've tested a couple and they had a great wtd action and cast well. Hopefully the ones I'm yet to get on the water will be about the same.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bass

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1