The Lure Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.

Just wondering what got you guys into lure fishing really? I know for me its the simplicity, just you, your rod and your lure bag, I love it!

What was your first expereince of lure fishing?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Well growing up in Australia, it was either lures or bait soaking, and I just hate sitting there waiting. Plus I love the connection to the lure. So much so that when I moved to the UK I switched to flyfishing, trout never really did anything for me. So got into saltwater flyfishing. Now gone full circle and back to plugging-and loving it, the equipment is just so much better than it was.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
It was a message from God.

nah, catching Chub over 4lb in a small river on live strut (minnows). was just one step away from lures.
Was in my teens so, a long time ago. Moved onto abu lures from local tackle shop and cheapo crankbaits.

Result was pike after pike.

This showed me that presentation, not just lure makes a difference.
Nailed down these lures on 1oz sinkers across under bushes etc and pike started to turn into bigger chub.

Then came fly fishing etc all as a distraction from the match fishing.

The rest is history.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Proper lure fishing for me started for me with the purchase of my beloved Quantum energy bass 240, At last I had a rod that could fire a lure out and be twitched back with confidence.

My first fish was a pollock of about 25cm with grabbed my 175 tide minnow (greedy little bugger). This was soon followed by several small bass on my holo silver Maria chase, and last September catching several on the surface, well thats me hooked for life now!

I still enjoy my bait fishing sessions, but now mostly use my quantum rather than those stupidly heavy beachcasters of bygone days.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
When I was about 16 years old some mates were down the pier fishing, I nipped down with my rod, I hadnt gone digging bait with them that day and they were a bit arsey about giving me any. So I put on a 20g Yann and absolutely cleaned up, I think I had about 20 pollack and a couple of mackerel. They caught sod all. I packed up, said thank you gentlemen and left them to it, sweet.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Proper lure fishing for me started for me with the purchase of my beloved Quantum energy bass 240, At last I had a rod that could fire a lure out and be twitched back with confidence.

My first fish was a pollock of about 25cm with grabbed my 175 tide minnow (greedy little bugger). This was soon followed by several small bass on my holo silver Maria chase, and last September catching several on the surface, well thats me hooked for life now!

I still enjoy my bait fishing sessions, but now mostly use my quantum rather than those stupidly heavy beachcasters of bygone days.
I love the quantum 240, you can really make a connection with the lures ey! Great for the surface.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I love the quantum 240, you can really make a connection with the lures ey! Great for the surface.
Superb choice Ritchie, I think for the money they're a great rod. As I said earlier, I used the quantum for nearly all my bait fishing too and with braid and a small sinkerI probably caught 10 times the amount of fish compared to other guys using heavier gear.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
For me , Lure fishing really started about 20yrs ago, got an invite to go wreck fishing for pollack & ling ,
we were all using heavy pirks ( lures ), weight wise 250-400gm heavy i know but that was the way then.

The skipper a very good friend , we would then go out on days bass fishing using lures from 250-200gm flashmeres, catches were very good back then , then due to an accident i had to stop the charter boating..

Was going to pack in the fishing altogether !!!! ? 6yrs ago , when **** asked me to go out with him and mark a very special friend sadly no longer with us, and to try plugging ...well as you now can see **** has a lot to answer for , bloody good mate , boat together, man he taught me a lot, and has cost me a lot!!!!!
But i enjoy every god damn minute of it , roll on the new season

:spoo::aarrg:

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Dunno, it was ages ago. Always been into fishing and moved to live a stones throw from our SW corner in early teens. being a spur of the moment type of guy lures were the obvious choice. Being a teen, cost of bait was an issue so cheap toby and buckets of manns various soft baits were the order of the day moving on to hard plugs after that. The half hour with 4 fish over 4lb to 7-6 was unforgettable and kind of triggered an obsession. Did a lot of bait fishing and scratching in between then and now but seems that lures are what I always go back to. Light gear is the way to go, I love it and rarely use the rods beyond bass rod weight, Mullet and lure rods all the way!!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I had been fishing a couple of years when a mate of mine caught a pike on a big Mepps spinner. That got my interest in lure fishing. Since then saltwater and freshwater match and pleasure fishing has taught me a lot about watercraft and techniques but I always return to lure fishing. More exciting by far. Convenient for an impulsive fishing fix.

And I just love the kit and the lures!

·
Registered
281 Posts
All started last year for me and a bit like Dave, a growing frustration with stillwater trout fishing and the lack of decent (& cheap) wild brown trout fishing locally drove me to think of the salt. Picked lure fishing as I thought it would be 'like' fly fishing and a 'cheap' option... Goes to show how wrong you can be. Got some kit from **** and the adventure began, long may it continue.

I love the fact that in principle it is simple - rod, reel and lure, but in reality oh so different...

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
For me it was standing next to my Dad at the age of 6 or 7 on Amroth Beach and getting peeved with him because he didn't think I could chuck a toby into the sea and catch any Mackeral. Well after 4 or 5 days of giving him grief he took me to Tenby and bought me my own rod. Best Dad in the whole wide world right? Stopped fishing at 12 for some reason. Went back to it for a while in my late teens then stopped again until 2 years ago. I remember standing on some rocks one winters morning at Thurlestone near where my sister lived and thinking, this looks so fishy. That was it I was off, by my Birthday in March I was kitted out and ready to go. No idea why I took up lure fishing over anything else, but I did. It's now exactly 2 years on...can't wait for the next 2 (and more).

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I pretty much got my dad in to it before I started myself - about a year later. We'd bait fished on and off for years, but got to the point where we didn't go so often. Occasionally he went out himself for a couple of hours chucking tobys etc, but his gear was stuff that we'd had for years so for Christmas a few years back I spent some time hunting around for a new rod and reel that I could buy him to make his life easier and a bit more enoyable. Obviously I didn't know much at that time, but I don't think I did too bad in getting him a Mike Ladle rod and Shimano Exage. Got him a few plugs etc too (although I laugh now at what I bought him; full-on deep divers etc.). Eventually I started to hear a few stories about how he'd caught a few bass, so I started to think that I'd like to try it. I'd fished all my life but never caught more than a handful of small bass. When I moved to within walking distance of the sea, I bought myself the same Mike Ladle rod that I'd bought my dad, and he actually bought me an Exage. The extent of my tackle knowledge only went as far as what Veals sold, but in September 2008 I finally had my first lure caught bass. I was soon upgrading my tackle and I had about another dozen or so that year before my fishing kicked off proper in 2009. I think its fairly safe to say I caught more than a dozen last year.

...and here we are today.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I am not too sure how I've become lure obsessed really. I have only lived in Jersey for about 6 years now, and before that all my fishing was done on rivers and lakes in the south of England. Most of my fishing was bait, but I used to target Perch and Chub with lures, which was great fun, could leave the heavy stuff at home and spend an evening with a rod and a net flicking a Mepps into nice looking holes etc. I started fishing for Bass as soon as I got over to Jersey. I think it appealed to me as the tackle used was similar to what I used when I coarse fished, whereas beachcasting gear and tactics seemed very crude and heavy, so the transition was more smooth. I still do my share of baitfishing, but now that the previously untapped area of super-light SB fishing, in what was previously my 'off-season' has raised its intriguing head, I cannot see that I'll be birdnesting my 525 for quite a while.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.