The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If Folks are concerned about having to "play" with the plastic lip on these.....you might be able to obtain a few with the fibre-glass lip.....which is claimed to be superior to the "regular" plastic lip.....however I am unaware if this really is the case......perhaps someone else might know.

Am I allowed to put the link up?

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
My first time using a gataride this morning and on my first cast I landed a fine pollack of about 6lb. Trouble is the fish thrashed about so much the bib somehow got shoved up into an upright position. It just won't go back down. I'm afraid to force it in case it breaks altogether. What do I do?
The first time I used the Gataride it lasted 3-6 casts and at £20+ that is not good enough.
For me the Gataride is a good plug but the design of the bib is just silly and weak so I wont be replacing mine,there are also many other plugs out there that do the same job and are much better designed.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
It was never designed for saltwater use.
I've had gator's for 2 seasons too, heavy 'ish use, no issues. Just don't plough them into rocks.

Original Zonk 120's are better anyway IMHO.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I was chatting to a guy in Ireland at the weekend who really rates this lure. However, he went through 15 of them last season due to the bib breaking :eek: !! That's a lot of dosh just because the bib keeps breaking ! When mine breaks, it wont be replaced.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
It was never designed for saltwater use.
I've had gator's for 2 seasons too, heavy 'ish use, no issues. Just don't plough them into rocks.

Original Zonk 120's are better anyway IMHO.
I agree with the Zonk 120 being better,my Gatarade was killed by some submerged kelp that I didnt know about.
I wouldn't wast my money on the Gataride.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I agree, Stick with the original Zonks. Smashed mine into all kinds of stuff and apart from paint chipping off i've had no other issues.

If you're going to design a plug with a movable bib, at least make it durable, not some flimsy CD case quality plastic.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Very Bling! Where do you get those from Andy .... did they replace the original Zonk's fibre bib?
Made them myself. The original Zonk has a fibreglass bib that for some reason isn't glued to the tongue bit that sticks out the lures 'mouth'. They break off more when you're drag it up a beach as they break upwards not down against the tongue. Easy tip with any new original Zonk is to glue the bib to the tongue from underneath before you use it. The replacement bibs in my picture are on original and gataride zonks, they all fit in the same way. As Alex said you can make them anysize and any shape.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
My only real gripe about the gataride, is 95% of those being sold over here are the High Pitch version, mine seems to think that diving to 5'+ is shallow running!!
I would ike to get hold of the Yoro version (meant to run about 1.5') as I think it would be a useful night time lure.
As Keith said, watch out for the structure.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I think there are two differant issues here. Firstly as most of you know biggest problem with the gateride is that when bumped into submerged structure the bib is forced down and snaps off. This is easily preventable by modifying the bib as Graham hill shows on his blog. By slightly filing off the nodes on the back of the bib it allows the bib too click into a downward position, not snap clean off, it can then be clicked back up and is ready too go again. I have done this too my gatorides and it really works.
The problem Pat has with his gatoride is one i also experienced. When landing a fish it thrashed and the line wrapped around the bib forcing it up not down. Unfortunatly Pat i thought the bib would snap if i tried too force it down and indeed it did. Too be honest Pat i don't think this is fixable/preventable, you just need too take care when landing fish. If you modify them as Graham shows you shouldn't face any of the normal gatoride gripes.
As most have said it's a real shame its so fragile as i find it great in my area, where its too shallow on most marks too use the regular zonk. As Dave says it's a shame the yoro-yoro versions aren't more freely available as an even shallower version would realy suit many of my marks.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The Yoro Yoro is the one to have for shallow reef.
Runs totally different.

I love Zonk 120's though. The ultimate run and jerk minnow with a twist.

They all cast really cleanly too and are not sensitive to hook changes.

Brilliant all round lure and I always carry a few when plugging at night.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts