The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm off to Scotland in the next week or so to Eyemouth on the East coast. This may be a stupid question but are there bass that far north? The ground looks ideal just not sure if they feed up there.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hi Stephen

We do get Bass up here in the North East, hard to find but they are there. I have never heard of Bass from Eyemouth but that's not to say they aren't there.

I know you can catch bass very nearby at Torness powerstation outfall. I've not been but I have heard mixed stuff about it. It's basically a nursery because of the hot water being pumped out the outfall, but is well known for anglers taking undersized fish with many staying away now. It's apparently common to get grief for returning fish that are too small as the [email protected] see it as a missed opportunity to sell a fish onto the local pub or takeaway.

As I've said, I've not fished the place but it's supposed to fish a few hours either side of lowtide, getting out on the rocky scars to the right of the outfall. Apparently it can be dangerous in a swell as well.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=55.96590807246786~-2.398572787642479&lvl=16&sty=a&eo=0&where1=Dunbar%2C%20East%20Lothian

Eyemouth is a popular place for anglers from my area in Northumberland to take a day or twos short fishing holiday. there is a large amount of very rocky and deep ground that in the summer fishes really well for Pollock, wrasse, conger, Cod and even Wolf fish.

Have a look at a few reports here from my local forum:

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/search.php?searchid=200474

Most angler from the area just fish baits on the bottom, but definately take your lure gear and fish SP's for Pollock and Wrasse. Every year there are some good sized fish caught.

For marks just google it, but there are loads all within a small area. Pretty much all of them involve climbing some steep cliffs so take care, check the tide times and don't fish if there is any sort of swell on.

As far as I know, there is no tackle shops anywhere near, the nearest being Berwick, but is absolutely shocking and really expensive. Either bring everything from home or if you need bait on the way up call into Amble angling in Amble.

If you really want to find out about the marks there, you can buy a book by a local angler which tells fishy stories and also gives detailed descriptions of marks including maps here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Codling-Cro...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280865903&sr=8-1

Other than that, I've caught Bass from Alnmouth down to Newcastle but thats a bit out your way. I've also read reports of Bass on lures much further north in scotland, so they are pretty widespead, just the numbers will be well down on what you are used to.

I've plugged over 120 hours this year on the Northumberland coast and had one schoolie back in June. Last year I had four on lures all year but I only really started lure fishing for them in July last year. There have been reports of a few appearing here over the last week though.

Anything else I've missed, let me know and I'll see if I can help.

edit***

local wind tide and swell predictions, only a few miles up the road from Eyemouth.

http://magicseaweed.com/Coldingham-Bay-Surf-Report/95/detailedLongRange/uk/#forecastTable

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good reply there Pete.

Just add this bit on. I've had schoolies from the beach on south side of the Tweed (lots of them in fact) but was only bait fishing at the time. No doubt had I had lure gear with me then fair chance that I would have caught.
Also lots of Wrasse around where you're going at the minute, give them a try on the sp's. Next time I'm up that way I'm going to give them a go.
Also as Pete says, Torness used to be the place but never fished there for a long time so can't comment on current state of affairs there.

Hope you've got a head for heights and the agility of a mountain goat as there's some climbing to be done to get down to the water. A lot of the marks aren't actually as bad to get down to as it looks from the cliff tops but if its wet or forcast for rain then stay off the cliff edges.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys, that's really useful.

I'm diving whilst up there so will have a good look round to see what's about.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Stephen,
Let us know how you get on mate. Was at Toreness earlier this year but weather too rough. It had been fishing and it looks very fishy so would be interesting to find out. If you go on google or multi maps aerial views you'll see a gulley to the south of the outfall, this is reputedly a very good area off the main flow. ;-)

·
Registered
865 Posts
last time a fished torness was in april and a had 3 schoolies biggest bout 1 1/2lb, there was also a net out!

pity as it would be a crackin spot if the bass had a chance to grow etc

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Adam did you report the net.....?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Plenty of fish on the Cleveland and Yorkshire coast Steve and we have only just started scratching the surface,all this from a place lots of guys used to tell me "you don't get many bass up your way do you ?".I see no reason why there shouldn't be bass around the area your fishing,if you look at the post I have just put on the Scottish catch report you will see evidence for my reasoning.Granted it is West coast but the potential is there so have a go "he who dares wins".

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Adam,
Some one has to start reporting some time mate whether something gets done or not. If I get the contact number for your local fisheries people would you start calling and encourage your mates too? By logging your calls and also letting the local angling representative on the fisheries committee know then he can raise the issues with statistics in public meeting. Unfortunately it is all they seem to acknowledge but at the moment there aren't any to report. I agree with you that nothing seems to get done but not doing anything is condoning the actions and makes us as bad as them. We should all be pestering the authorities until they act. We pay their wages and they should be listening to us. I understand they don't listen at the moment but there are ways to see this happens and we should make sure it happens. Especially as all it would take is a phone call and doesn't need intervention or exposing yourself to violence..

F*ck those w*nkers who are getting away with it.

I'll talk to my mate who is on the committee for your area and see what the channels are. Would you guys be willing to try this and spread the word to encourage others? The more people we have harrasing the authorities the better and then maybe we'll get action. It won't happen over night but hopefully enough representations to the right people will work.

Bearing in mind this site's main quarry species is Bass if we can't at least try and do something about the illegal netting and selling of Bass when we know about it then who will.

I'll get the details

·
Registered
865 Posts
its been reported tons of times mate, fisheries people come down once in a blue moon even thought they must be plauged with calls about the place!

undersize fish get taken, even likes of bass 8" and the majority of the culprits are chinese or similar(sorry dont know exact nationality and am not racist) and dont speak much english

They line up along the rocks with paperboy bags on and keep every little bass they catch, and chuck it in there bag

must be thousands of bass taken from there over the years

fisheries even put up mls for bass around the outflow but they soon got ripped down

get me the details tho mate and al deff ring next time am up
cheers

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Have made contact, hopefuly we will get a number to some one higher up the pecking order. Has anyone asked whether the Angling Trust can take this on or give some help??. Their legal team seem to be causing the authorities a bit of a problem around us, ensuring prosecutions are completed and followed through for instance.

I know there are members of BASS on here is this not the sort of thing Bass might get behind and give their support?

·
Registered
161 Posts
hi ive fished torness power station on couple of ocassions been good but last time was july this year got nothing thought was slow until realised some local had gill nett out he turned up with wet suit went in came out with belt full no wonder wasnt catching should be more checks as these guys killing off stock i wasnt happy traveling hundred mile for nothing but yes there are bass up as far as edinburgh i heard off local that beaches are good also at night so answer u question they are there just locating them hope helps u out do search for torness dunbar so got idea of area im talking about cheers rod.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts