The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been out this evening and had to use my little light rod (7' 5g-20g) as car door decided it didn't like my other heavier rod and kicked the crap out of it.

Just wondering what sort of distance you would expect form a small rod of this weight. Was using 12.5g, 14g and 18g lures. When I'd finished fishing I had a few casts on the sand and paced them out.

Furthest casts were as follows -

12.5g = 31 paces
14g = 30 paces (slightly bulkier lure than the 12.5g one)
18g = 38 paces

No wind so nothing to affect distances, 15lb braid, Shimano Exage 2500. The rod is just a cheapy RT jobby, medium to fast action.

Are these poor, reasonable or good distances on a light rod ?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hi ****.

There was a thread on distance when the forum was in it's infancy, would be good to get the discussion gong again now we have more members to add their thoughts and experiences!

http://www.thelureforum.com/showthread.php?t=1071

"Had a couple of spare hours this afternoon so went to my local park with a bag of lures and a couple of rods. This is completely non-scientific but hopefully it may be of some use to somebody.

Firstly, I had no way of measuring, so I just used the footie pitches. It took me 20 steps to the 18yrd line and 58 to the centre line.

Had a cast with my standard beach gear, Century CCC with a Mag Elite that hasn't been cleaned in nearly 6 months! With a (very) lazy OTG this sent a 5oz lead 154 paces. Set a nice benchmark I thought.

So, onto the lures.

My Stradic 4000FC filled with 20lb PowerPro was saddled onto the Rod Bar 270 and I had one cast with each of the following....

Rapala J-13 48 paces (Not even half way!)
Bass Arrow 57 paces
Zonk (sinking) 63 paces
Tide Minnow sld-f145 63 paces
Patchinko 66 paces
Abu Toby 28g 80 paces
Dexter 28g 91 paces
1oz ball lead 91 paces
P-Boy Jig Casting Sandeel 99 paces (Edge of 18yrd box)

All casts were bog standard fishing casts, not pendulum or anything fancy. Weather was drizzly with no noticable wind..."

The Bar is quite a powerful rod but I don't have a lighter one as yet, hopefully someone can give examples of some rough distances with a lighter rod. Unlucky wth your heavier set up mate, although I know a few people that have had similar experience and now use a lighter rod as their preferred choice!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
It might depend a bit on what lures you were using ****?

Saying that, a 7' rod casting weights well within its range on a light braid should be spot on for casting lures like you mention. Casting distance is one particular area where top quality lures excel.

Short rods will cast lures within their realistic casting range a very long way. I like to think of it (as a very rough generalisation) that for every extra foot you have in rod length, if the rod has the same casting range, you can gain roughly 5m with every extra foot of tip length. Sometimes it's not all about distance in fishing situations though, so the foot or two less you have on you allows for much better working of any lure within your casting distance.

Your distances are probably quite good and realistic. If I picture myself walking 30+ paces from where I'm sat now, that seems about right! :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not all about the distance ...

Most of my fly fishing is done around 20 - 40 feet - same for my plugging ... never discount fishing at your feet especially if you are quiet :D
Appreciate that distance is not a 'be all and end all' requirement. I'll happily cast 5yds if thats all it takes. Just more curious than anything else

Thanks for the link Rob, I'll have a look through it

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
never discount fishing at your feet especially if you are quiet
Amen to that, but if your greedy like I am, you target the close in bass first, then start covering the water further out.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Interesting. I've never thought about it like that! I'd always assumed that casting long would induce a take from close in AND cover the water at my feet...

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Rob,
Walk down to the water, belt a cast, and every bass working close to the shoreline will have clocked you already.
Hang back from the water, don't get skylined keep the first few casts short and the lures on the smaller/lighter end of the scale. If you hook up, you can beach the bass, without having dragged/played a bass in from deeper water. Two bites at the cherry instead of one.

Reactions: Nick R and Rob F

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Rob,
Walk down to the water, belt a cast, and every bass working close to the shoreline will have clocked you already.
Hang back from the water, don't get skylined keep the first few casts short and the lures on the smaller/lighter end of the scale. If you hook up, you can beach the bass, without having dragged/played a bass in from deeper water. Two bites at the cherry instead of one.
Reminds me of my Chub stalking days using free lined slugs on the river sence many moons ago.
It is amazing how many fish of all species are right under your feet and catchable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts