The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was pondering whilst fishing this morning, what distance would a fish travel to take or investigate a lure.
Even assuming optimum visibility, just how close do we have to run a lure to a fish to get some reaction?
Noise / vibration obviously plays it's part as well.
If we were working a mark, casting in fan pattern, do we miss fish by moving them into a location, then casting away from it on the next cast?
Would be interesting to see others thoughts, particularly those that have dive experience

·
Registered
231 Posts
Really good question mate, i was thinking about this the other day hadn't even thought of attracting a fish to an area then casting away from it :) the mind boggles :)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I think thats why you need to put pauses in your retrieves. I once cast out a feed shallow counted to 30 before starting to reel and on the first rip waited for ten seconds started to reel and bang fish on. I think it was Bob or Keith that told me to rip and pause to make sure you haven't reeled away from the fish.

Its like this..... If someone knocks on your front door. You don't want them to leave before you've had time to get up from the sofa and answer the door. Sometimes they need to knock twice aswell.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I've had this conversation with a few knowledgeable people and we reckon 20 meters is common but upto 50 meters in clean signal area's.
The more a clear indication gets confused by weed, sea noise, other people lure fishing near you etc, the shorter the range.
In faster current too, I think the fish won't move too far away from prime locations.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a lot further than I had thought.
Based on nothing more than my own dumb logic, i had a thought that i'd need to get within 5-10mtrs of a fish.
I think i'm going to get myself a snorkel set & get in the water at a couple of the marks i fish.
I've realised recently that i really don't have a clue whats going on in the water, all of my thinking has been based on assumption of whats happening.
I'm happy that i've learnt more from fishing more but at the same time I think that there's so much more i don't have a clue about!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts