The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
A very personal choice Sam. If you need the extra to get over wave tops or punch into the wind, perceived wisdom would be that a 9 to 10ft rod would be better, but I wouldn't be afraid to try something different. Someone famous once told me SPs "would never catch on"..........!!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Sam,
9'4" works well for me. Makes a big difference when casting from the shore, Distances that you really have to work for with 8-8.5' rod, are a relatively easy cast with 9.5' rod. Still the most widely used rod from the shore in Japan.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Sam,
9'4" works well for me. Makes a big difference when casting from the shore, Distances that you really have to work for with 8-8.5' rod, are a relatively easy cast with 9.5' rod. Still the most widely used rod from the shore in Japan.
Fair point Dave, the Jap bass mags are full of 9ft rods for shore fishing.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
10' to 10.5' are concidered surf rods in japan, commonly rated 15-50g, for SeaBass, Flounder, Yellow Tail etc
Gives you the extra distance, and extra ability to control and mend the line under surf conditions.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
What can't you do with your current rod? Will a longer rod solve the problems? It will aid reach, control, and may give you longer casting range. The better rods these days are very light and are as light to fish in the hand as shorter rods of only a few years ago. Like Dave says, in Japan they tend to use longer rods than us. They do have better rods to choose from though. But bear in mind that not every longer rod will cast further and they may not be as pleasant to fish with.
Surf or open beach fishing presents a whole different set of problems to fishing more sheltered areas and I agree longer rods make more sense. Finding the right one is the hard part.

·
Banned
792 Posts
Sam, only you can find out by trying different length rods under same conditions at same marks.

Advices from here are really good for getting quality or value for money decissions moved in one or the other direction.

omtc
Thomas

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Sam,
I own a Daiwa Morethan Demon Blood 9'4", it is simply the best plugging rod I have ever used, incredibably light, casts brilliantly, handles big bass, but yet still allows you to enjoy the schoolies. A quality bit of kit. Any questions-feel free to pm me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've just moved up from an 8ft to 10ft spinning rod and much prefer the added length for more choice in where I can get the lures as I move around. I try to cover distance where I fish, so the added flexibility/versatility is very useful.
When deciding whether to go for a longer rod, I tried a few short sessions with a cheap extendable 10 footer from ebay. Crap rod, but helped me understand that the longer length would be better for me, before opening the wallet for a real one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts