The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the forum & geeting into the world of plugs & SP's :-D (loving it so far). I've read various posts about putting whole reels of braid onto reels = 150m+ of braid. Considering how far you can actually cast with braid & factoring in the cost, is this actually necessary or is it just what some people prefer to do?

Assuming that you cast a plug max 50-60 yards (do some cast them further???) & allow a bit to be left on the spool (say 5 yards) that means you'd only need say 70, 80 yards on your spool. If you happen to get a fish on & it makes a run the rest of your line could consist of mono, couldn't it? Or do you need braid on the reel to feel properly feel how the fish is turning/fighting.

Perhaps it comes down to the fact that you don't want a knot (that joins the braid to the mono) in the middle of (& weakening/creating chances of line snags??) your line? I would be grateful for any feedback that you guys can give.

I'm also getting to grips with the issue of whether or not you need mono backing on ur spool to give the braid some grip (or whether insulation tape would do?) Looking at this forum it seems that some have mono, some have nothng. I also heard that braid straight on ur spool could make it 'explode - not sure if this was a myth though or associated with old spools?? Need a bit more investigation on this one to understand the why's/wherefores. Thinking of getting a Rarenium 4000 soon to team up with my Bushwacker XLNT & wondering what I would put on the spool...............

Cheers

Toby

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi Toby & welcome. Font think I've said hello yet!
I think you're probably right about the amount of braid that's actually needed. I bought a 300 mtr spool of braid & have put half of it on a daiwa 3000 with mono backing. 100mtrs would probably of been enough. I guess a good cast would realistically be around 60-65 + a bit for line in the air would still leave a good amount on the spool. The rest just gives a nice even base and helps line lay.
As with most things, don't there is a hard and fast right or wrong, all down to what you feel happy with.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Welcome to the forum Toby,
The braid question: you're not the first and you won't be the last! If you do a search or just look through Tackle Talk you'll find numerous threads on the subject.
The general concensus is, I think, 8-strand is better than 4-strand - thinner, better casting though a fair bit more pricey but the Daiwa stuff can be had for £30/300yds, I can't remember the exact name of it but you'll find it if you do a search....
Powerpro is a good basic starter braid, I use it on all my reels - I haven't made the leap to 8-strand yet.
I use 10(ish) yds of mono backing, whack the full 150 yd spool on (4000 size Shimano) and leave 2mm clearance to the spool lip. I don't have any problem with this setup, I've never had a wind knot and am very pleased with it. One tip from me would be to watch for the braid wrapping around the tip of your rod - it's a bugger for it when you're distracted changing a lure etc

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tim & Jeremy - cheers for your replys. I've got a Stradic 4000 & am using PowerPro 30lb at the moment. Heavy line I know but with my casting skill in its infancy (& having the odd encounter with rocks :-o) & going plugging where its quite snaggy thought it a good way to start.

The Stradic 4000 (rear drag) that I've got only comes with a shallow spool rather annoyingly hence fitting 150yds of braid on is a bit of a struggle, certaintly the 30lb powerpro (0.28mm dia I think). I have fitted a deeper, plastic spool from an old Shimano Alivio. Sort of does the job but it aint a good fit & the line lay is biased towards the front of the spool. Using a smaller diameter/lower bs line is an option for the future. Hence thinking about a Rarenium 4000. I would also use this when I go out bait fishing.

Talking of which......people say PowerPro is 'good value'. Coming from the world of bait fishing (sea) spending £30 on a 300m spool, when you can get 900m or yds good quality mono for £10-15, was a bit of a shock! May try the 8 strand Diawa sometime but have gotten used to my yellow PP braid. When I looked at the Diawa 8 strand I could not find any colour apart from green (or was it brown??)

Re line being wrapped around the tip.........suffered from this a few times. I always try & remember to give the line a little tug before I cast to make sure that its running free. Also, touch wood, have not suffered from any wind knots yet. I close my bail arm manually & try & make sure that the braid goes on tightly. No doubt my time with the wind knots will come:-o

Thanks again

Toby

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Toby, I can't answer your questions. If you click on "advanced search" up the top, enter "braid" in the search box and click on titles onthe drop down menu there are 27 threads there alone. See what you can digest and if it helps you make a decision...
I think it's been decicded by the hardcore officianados that a shallow spool is better....

This one is a good thread too...: http://www.thelureforum.com/showthread.php?t=2914

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Morning Toby. I dont think anywhere near 150yds of braid is required for normal use. Some of the newer japanese braids come on 75yd spools which I think is much more reasonable. I dont envisage casting more than 60yds in a session (rarely need for it), so dont really see the need to pack 150yd onto it. Even if you do, at the end of the season you can reverse the line on the spool and fish from the other end. Braid is good value on the whole also, as it will not degrade like mono does, and looked after can last two seasons or so. I am currently using Powerpro and Powershot, but have just bought my first 'superbraid', this stuff here http://www.orientalanglerstore.jp/product/1226 , which I have bought in PE#1. Sadly I am very excited about trying it out!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I load my spools with 100mtrs anything more is surplus, Ive changed over to Ygk galis ultra wx8 1.2. Find this braid superb casts miles.

Reactions: Toby Harnett

·
Registered
769 Posts
Michael & Mark

I find 75 -100 m of so is fine too. However Ive been out on several lengthy fishing trips where the inevitable happens and you loose 10 m of line here and there, so end up with the knot joining your line to the backing or whatever below getting close to, or even coming off the spool on long casts. These remaining lenths of line are then no use for lure fishing to me and end up redundant so I donate them to friend who barbel fishes. Better off starting with the full 150m (or whatever) and rewinding your line over the months to increase the backing and so keep the line the desired distance from the lip of the spool without having to bin e.g. 60m lengths of line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts