The Lure Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a technical note how much line does one really need on a spool?

I have two early 90's RB fixed spool reels. Size wise they are from the sublime to the ridiculous

I have a very small Ryobi number that I loaded with 100m of 8lb mono and it is pretty much full.
I used it for the soft plastic bash last night at St Cats and actually I really liked it I have not used it in a few years. (Oh and I caught one)
Because of the tiny spool and short crank it is really easy to work the lure really slowly.
But does it hold enough line? How what is the minimum length you would fish for both SP and Lures?

My second reel is a Silstar CX70B it is a bit of a lump and can probably hold around 500m of 10lb mono
I currently have that loaded with 270m of 10lb mono
I works fine can get a real speed up with the long crank. Harder to work slowly and a bit heavy to hold for ages.

I guess the only other thing is how strong does the line really need to be?

As always your views would be much appreciated.

Oh and before any one tells me to go and get a new reel fishing is supposed to be my new cheep hobby ;-)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
100 meters for both is more than enough imho.

well done last night.

SP's like last night 6lb braid...

Wrasse and Bigger Bass, maybe 12-15lb

Why use anymore unless for a specific task.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Agreed. 100 - 150m is more than enough for both. Strength depends on what you're doing, but whatever you're doing you don't need too much.

I'd happily use some of the shallow match spools available on reels if they came with any of the reels I own. In fact, I'd almost prefer it if they came with them!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I just tend to put a 150 yard spool of braid on the reel with sufficient mono backing to fill it properly. When I've lost too much braid over the season and I'm down to 80 yards or so then I replace. Will defo spool up the spare spool with some lighter braid or even mono this year though...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts