The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m considering giving it a go on a couple of my reels so this is a question for the ones that have tried the Powerline PowerShot braid.

How real is the diameters and braking strains that are stated?

The 0.15mm diameter version is stated to have a braking strain of 25Ib and considering so many of the braid manufacturers grossly overstate the properties of their products I’m more than a little bit sceptical.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I’m considering giving it a go on a couple of my reels so this is a question for the ones that have tried the Powerline PowerShot braid.

How real is the diameters and braking strains that are stated?

The 0.15mm diameter version is stated to have a braking strain of 25Ib and considering so many of the braid manufacturers grossly overstate the properties of their products I’m more than a little bit sceptical.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I have considered doing this but the thing that is stopping me is "fear of the birdy nest" especially mid cast.
To me a line has got to be totally fishable in the way that PowerPro is.
These lines are evolving big time but just being super thin and mega strong is only part of it.
I know I will make the jump one day but I dont think its that time yet.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Sorry I can't help on this one Vidar, but Nick, if you want a gentle step from PP, try the Yamatoyo stuff (**** should have some). Its 4 strand so not a leap too far, and is as useable as PP, but a finer diameter. Also shares the decent abrasion resistance. The blue colour might not be your thing, but the braid is so good it'll grow on you, I promise.

Reactions: Nick Phillips

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Sorry I can't help on this one Vidar, but Nick, if you want a gentle step from PP, try the Yamatoyo stuff (**** should have some). Its 4 strand so not a leap too far, and is as useable as PP, but a finer diameter. Also shares the decent abrasion resistance. The blue colour might not be your thing, but the braid is so good it'll grow on you, I promise.
Ben ... do you think being Blue in colour is a negative thing compared to the moss green PP?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Ben ... do you think being Blue in colour is a negative thing compared to the moss green PP?
Nah, not at all I don't think. I've always used a leader, but never found any different whatsoever with different colours affecting the fishing.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Liam and Gaz use the powershot and they were raving about it being really really good while over here, maybe send one of them a PM.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have had the 25lb Powershot on my Fireblood for only about 2 or 3 months now, but love the stuff. And, touch wood, I haven't yet had a wind knot!

I would be interested to see what it comes out as measured independantly, but its definately the thinnest I have used, and is lovely and smooth feeling as well, a world of difference from coarse PP and Fireline that I used before. I will be buying some 15lb to go on another reel soon, as well as spooling my Certate with heavier powershot for deep water from the boat and really heavy cover stuff.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Powershot

I use Powershot and it is silky smooth. I have never had a problem at all with it other than the dye coming off the line and staining my hands ,the first couple trips (it doesn't happen after a short while fishing with it). The blue colour isn't so bad for staining I feel as well.
I have the 15lb in blue and a yellow version of the 15lb and the 20lb in yellow as well.
I like the 15lb in blue myself.
Oh yeah its thin but strong and have never had a crack off or wind knot yet with it.
Hope this helps. I came across it and recommended it whilst fishing out in Ireland last year.
**** stocks it

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guy’s :clap::clap::clap:

I might put either the 20 or the 25Ib version in yellow on one of my new Certate’s

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Last year i fished the 20 lb version of the power shot not sure the exact diametre but was very thin for its strenght pulled a lot of lures through bad situations for me thankfully,Casting was a dream with only a wind not or two for the full season more down to me than the braid,I fished all types of lure on it from both shore and the boat,softies, top water and shallow runners with the odd diving plug,
Pat Gallagher put us on to it last year who himself was also using it
This year i have the 0.15mm 25lb powershot on my main spool (no 20lb available at time of purchase)
and 0.15mm power pro on my spare spool, there is a big difference in the strenght between the two of these braids @0.15mm,I was under the impression that the 0.15 mm power pro rated 9kg was infact the 20lb version how wrong i was kept snaging lures and jig heads and loosing them in places where the 20 lb shot was pulling through,I eventually seen your post regarding power pro diametre and the penny dropped...

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Mmmmm am very tempted to do that,I would propably opt for the 20lbs version.
Trouble is I have already spooled up the Branzino with .19 PP in yellow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts