The Lure Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I've recently bought a new reel and a spool of Powershot to go on it, but I have a few questions about how to load it on the reel. I have only used Power Pro before and loaded it as per the instructions on the packet, holding the spool between my knees in line with the rod.

Should I follow the example on the Power Pro packets and keep the spool of Powershot in line with the rod and thread it through the rings of the rod, or should I hold the spool of Powershot at a right angle to the rod and let the braid come over the edge of the spool, again threading the braid through the rings of the rod? Would this make any difference to the braid twisting? I have used this second method with mono on a different reel and the line seems less twisted (I may be wrong).

Also, should I use some of the arbor tape that I have left over from the Power Pro or should I just put the Powershot straight on the reel?

Finally, any suggestions for what knot to use?

Any advice or links would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Tony.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Hi Guys,

I've recently bought a new reel and a spool of Powershot to go on it, but I have a few questions about how to load it on the reel. I have only used Power Pro before and loaded it as per the instructions on the packet, holding the spool between my knees in line with the rod.

Should I follow the example on the Power Pro packets and keep the spool of Powershot in line with the rod and thread it through the rings of the rod, or should I hold the spool of Powershot at a right angle to the rod and let the braid come over the edge of the spool, again threading the braid through the rings of the rod? Would this make any difference to the braid twisting? I have used this second method with mono on a different reel and the line seems less twisted (I may be wrong).

Also, should I use some of the arbor tape that I have left over from the Power Pro or should I just put the Powershot straight on the reel?

Finally, any suggestions for what knot to use?

Any advice or links would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Tony.
Tony you do need to have some mono on the spool as it will stretch and grip the spool,but you dont need very much to make this happen.
I like to soak the braid in a bucket of water and then with someone else holding the braid spool on a shaft I wind it on through the but ring of a rod and get the person holding the braid spool to clamp down to get good tension.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts