The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well boys, purchased a BASS tape from **** (some time back), 115mm gutter pipe from Normans and decided to try construct a suitable instrument to measure bass from a yak..The 115m gutter pipe is still to narrow so popped it in the oven until softish,wedged two fly rod tubes inside then taped it up and allowed it to cool.perfect.Glued in a stop at the zero point and stuck the tape down.Total length was 80 cm with the remainder of the tape folded and bound down behing the gutter.(just in case).

Now its a bit bulky to be honest,but stashed in in my front hatch.All I needed was a clip attached in case I dropped it, but that can wait.

On Saturday thought I would test it in all the excitement,Well I can tell you I fumbled the catch AT THIRD SLIP and watched as it came to rest at the ocean floor about 10 foot deep.What a wholly.

So.I did what my wife said from the start,Buy one.Came accross some that fold out to 77cm at TKR FISHING UK.They £12 with delivery and saves alot of effort of making one.Waiting for mine to arrive,will coment on it later.

If anybody has a better idea please let us know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Stephen,

Just a thought mate, why not just mark the side of your yak with marker pen?

I can usually tell if a bass is a keeper: if i'm not sure it goes back.

Phil V

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have tippex marks on my rod going from the top handle, up in 10cm segments. Not massively accurate but ok for general idea.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just had a look at that ruler looks like a handy bit of kit. Altho Sleepy's idea is a good cheap alternative, or even as a back up just in case!

One thing that caught my eye is they state the min Bass as 41cm and Black Bream as 24cm, yet ours are 36cm and 23cm respectively. Bit off subject but why the difference? Anyone know?

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
One thing that caught my eye is they state the min Bass as 41cm and Black Bream as 24cm, yet ours are 36cm and 23cm respectively. Bit off subject but why the difference? Anyone know?
It's manufactured in the USA so it's American sizes I guess

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys,was thinking more of accurate measuring for the lure comp as its catch and release.Need to take photo of fish against tape measure.I think the doo da I ordered should be fine.I'll just use a velcro tie to lightly secure fish incase it decides to buck and roll.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I prefer catch and release, but sometimes you want to know how big the fish was. I don't have anything to weigh my fish, so I made some global graph in Excel with some numbers from René Sehr (www.zeebaars.info). And ofcourse some of my own numbers from the past. I know that there are some complaints, but this is just to give you an index about the weight of the fish. (yeah, the fish aren't the same early in the year as in the end etc.)

Just give it a try!

http://people.zeelandnet.nl/cvsluijs/kayak/Zeebaars groeicurve.xls

1 - 10 of 10 Posts