The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having found it particularly difficult to get hold of any matt black lures, I was wondering what is the best method to go about spraying one up myself?

Is it just a case of using some fine sand paper to score the original finish, and then spray with two or three coats of matt black car spray?

What kind of spray is best, and does it need sealing with anything afterwards?

Appreciate your input.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I would use arcylic primer first then acrylic paint and lacquer. You can't match a manufacturer's finish where colouring is embedded in the plastic so it will need a touch more paint now and then. Try it on an old J13 or Jointed thunderstick first ;)

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Black marker pen, and a coat of "hard as nails" gives a pretty durable matt finish.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Here,s a Rapala Sliver which I painted with Black Halfords car paint which has a silver fleck in it .
I sanded the lure just to roughen the surface then sprayed it with three coats of the paint then when dry applied two coats of Halfords lacquer.

I have painted many like this and the paint has been quite durable also the Silver fleck helps to reflect some light so you can use the lure day or night.

I like to use this lure at night when the water is Gin clear in deep water and having Phosphorescence also helps a lot as you can see a nice green wake being created by the lure when retrieved.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
and having Phosphorescence also helps a lot as you can see a nice green wake being created by the lure when retrieved.
In my opinion, this phenomenon is the worse thing you can experience whilst night plugging.
It lights up your line too.

We call it 'fire in the water'. A terminology borrowed from Striper lore. Quite accurate really.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Fire in the water has killed fishing for me in the states a couple of times. The locals said "don't bother" I didn't listen-guess what they were right.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Cant say that it ever ruined the fishing for me, might have been that the Phosphorescence was higher up the water column or close to the surface at the time as I fish deep water in the Straits at night .

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much for all your replies chaps. It gives me a few options to try.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here,s a Rapala Sliver which I painted with Black Halfords car paint which has a silver fleck in it .
Thanks Gary ... I like the look of the Sliver .... did you apply the silver fleck separately, or was it in the paint from Halfords?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Hi Nick,

The silver fleck was in the paint ,I only applied the lacquer afterwards.
I then painted back the eyes using a cotton bud dipped in white enamel paint.

If you look in the top right hand side of the photo inside the lure box you can see some green lures I painted which have a Silver Fleck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts