how to remove a trebble hook | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

how to remove a trebble hook

Discussion in 'Tackle & Tips' started by {name}, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Chub

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mackerel

I found it hard to watch,I was curling my toes up cringing,hope I never need to do it.

3. Perch

hes done some damage on that bottle of whisky his head will hurt more than his hand in the morning

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pike

Turned my head away the moment he pulled the hook out,well done though.If that's the way to get rid of the hook then so be it,better than spending the rest of the day with a treble in your hand.Seen a foto of a guy on a boat in the tropics in the middle of nowhere with a ST66 5/0 stuck in his hand in absolute agony for hours until they reached the dock and medical help,rather have this if I have to choose.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Senior Member

That way does work, I know people that have used it after seeing a similar video on here some time ago.

6. Guest

Seems like a lot of fannying around to me.......Just rip it back out the way it went in with a pair of pliers

7. Sandeel

I've had to do that 3times over many years only one time with a hook that big... And always been on my own.
    Pliers... Yank... Carry on fishing

8. Striper

after 40 yrs of fishing and never getting a hook in my hand,last year it happened twice, the first time was in my thumb on the forward trebble of a patch,whilst the rear trebble was deep in the mouth of a 5lber !!! it took 20 minutes of trying to reverse it out, trying to cut it with pliers.......without any luck,was about to set off for the hospital and tried one last time to gently reverse it out and it came out as easy as anything,just lucky i think.

The second time was on a feedshallow copy trebble, in my finger........it just wouldnt come out and ended up with a trip to the hospital.
    This year i am carrying a couple of the proper surgical scalpel blades, so if it happens again i can just make a small cut on the barb side and it should come out pretty easily,its surprising how you dont feel much pain at the time due to addrenalin,but they sure throb after an hour or so....

I would be a bit wary of using brute force and ripping it out with pliers as you could do more damage than you realise to mucle/nerves etc

9. Striper

It can happen to the best of us :oops:

10. Sprat

That method was shown to me by my Grandad about 65years ago but it wasn't just a yank as in the film you press down on the top of the hook to take the barb away from the skin then pull gently on the cord and the hook just slides out

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blenny

This is confidence in removing a hook.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Sea Trout

Good to know, cheers. Like the idea of pushing down to take the barb away from the flesh, makes sense. I had a treble in my hand last year and just ripped with pliers which was ok but a bit messy, this looks much cleaner.

13. Sprat

exactly shown as I described it but I wouldn't shove a treble in my leg to prove it!!!! :batonhead: