The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided this morning that my legs were not up for another cliff explre so I decided to venture to the northern wastelands of Guernsey.

There was a fair swell runing with the NE F5 which was a bit much to cast into so I moved to the lee side of the headland and casting was a doddle, flying out for miles with my standard 7.5g football head and Homemade Xlayer.

It looked good, clear water, white water, exposed heads, heads a few feet below the surface and gullies and shallow reef systems. Heaven!!

TheMark.JPG

First fish in was a small bronze pollack.

Several casts later letting the lure bounce through the gully shown I had a very strong take, the rod simply pulled over and kept going. After a few strong tail sweeps it was gone. Gutted.

Couple of casts later and had another tap tap take, lifted into it and the reel sang and the Infeet doubled nicely.

A short but strong fight later this chap showed himself and not the small wrasse I thought it would be!! A welcome shiny!! 46cm, not weighed but about 2.5lb per the BASS tape.

Bass1.JPG

A few more casts through the gully and something with a bit more fight in it took the lure and ran very very hard, gave me some hairy moments and gave it's identity away early on going to ground where some steady hard pressure tempted it back out for some more steaming runs in the flow of water through the gully.

Wrasse1.JPG

Weighed in at 3-9-4. I've had loads of wrasse round the 3-9 mark, the 4lb is a bit tricky to break for some reason, just had the one at 4-7-8. Sure I will find one, heading for more virgin grounds and nasty rough stuff when I can.

it's another open comp coming up soon, next weekend in the form of a species hunt. Most fish over qualifying weights over 3 weekends (e.g. 1lb mack or gar, 5lb bass, 4.8lb wrasse etc etc for a load of species and 1/3 of record weight for the odd ones). I'm going to give it a go lure only (other than the conger!!), see what I can pull out LRF and HRF. Mackerel, Gar and Scad for the first round I reckon, second weekend is mid October so they will be pretty much gone by then.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
That ground looks stunning Andy. Well done for hooking on your home-made gear again !!! Unlucky on the submarine ;).

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Another great report Andy. I am venturing north in Jersey tmo for an all day jolly. Hoping for some good HRF action. I will put up a report, providing a few fish are landed! Do you get Bass much as bycatch when going for Wrasse? I haven't had a Bass yet in a Wrasse session. Maybe its because some of the places I've been doing it are pretty tideless.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Another great report Andy. I am venturing north in Jersey tmo for an all day jolly. Hoping for some good HRF action. I will put up a report, providing a few fish are landed! Do you get Bass much as bycatch when going for Wrasse? I haven't had a Bass yet in a Wrasse session. Maybe its because some of the places I've been doing it are pretty tideless.
That's the first "proper bycatch" bass when really not trying for them. I have had bass on ground I fish for wrasse but tbh I was sort of fishing for them with senko's and hard lures. I know K&K said they had a lot of bass when rockie bashing but not sure what ground they are fishing. his mark is very likely to throw up bass and I have been told by a slightly inebriated very good bass angler that this mark is well worth fishing for a buster bass with the lure techniques I am using, they struggle to fish it wth bait due to the gullies and heads plus some tide as well. I'll try again on a bigger tide, dead neaps today.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Oh right. It does look beautiful big Bass ground. I've not caught Wrasse around white water yet though. Had them in a bit of tide, but smooth flow, rather than turbulant, if you know what I mean

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great post and photos Andy. I was really impressed with your home made lures when I was over. Great enterprise!. I think Dan has kept one of your special G registered X layers for an HRF session....

Neil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts