The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here has experienced the 'take' on a deadsticked SP ?

great isn't it.

Who has had what ?

I've had Wrasse, Bass, Pouting, Pollack etc and, not always in daylight. One of my biggest Bass this season came on deadsticked Senko.

You know how I've banged on about 'real suspending' plugs and also about the 'STOP' when plugging yet, out of those of you experiencing the HRF deadstick take....

How many have taken that confidence of having a bit of plastic, doing nothing and getting hammered, across to the hard stuff, either on top or suspended ?

Do you think you might if you already haven't ?

If not, why not ?

It really does work you know.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I have had both Bass & Wrasse on deadsticked Xlayers this year. There's no way i would have fished that way, had i not spent the time i have in Jersey this year, fishing with the Jersey Bumblers early in the year, and then with Keith in the summer.

Total eye-opener.

Yet to do it with hard plastic though.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Keith, had a wrasse on a dead-sticked Xlayer at Weymouth this year. It amazed me. Tap, tap wallop when the lure was just sat there on the bottom. I've had bass take static surface plugs but that is as much by accident as design (when I've stopped retrieving to fiddle with the line, chat to George etc). I freely admit that it has not become part of my armoury yet - I guess it just hasn't filtered through. Food for thought...

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Not really Deadsticking as such, a session at a mark produced three little Wrasse by balancing the jighead weight/line drag against the current so the mini-Xlayer was suspending. The tiniest of twitches - try moving your rod tip one inch - seemed to work well

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting comments guys so far.

Believe me, it was a long, long time ago when I discovered 'deadsticking' but it wasn't for Bass or Wrasse or any sea fish.
It was trout on a series of lakes known as packington. It might still exist, it's near birmingham.

Anyway, we tied up some nymphs out of this wool made by 'twilleys' and they were aimed at caddis cases.
On those days you couldn't catch normally and dry fly didn't fire, it made sense to drop something down there.
Boy, it was massively successful. We had the rods nearly pulled in on occasion.

So, the transition to 'suspending lures' and deadsticked plastics wasn't that much of a reach for me and kev but I can see the doubt creep in even today after 1 or 2 hours of doing nothing has transpired. Then, the line tightens or you go to pick up slack to be met with a strong head shake. It's all good.

basically, I just want to encourage guys to take confidence from 1 method, across to another. I hope it does help achieve that at some point.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I've only had Wrasse on deadsticked SP's, but have taken a few Bass now on stationary suspending plugs, the Ima Flit and the MaxRap, as well as a nice fish on a stopped, slowly floating to the surface feed shallow. I still find it hard to stop myself cranking though!

·
Registered
769 Posts
I discovered the technique by accident 4 years back with SPs. I have now progressed it more to the hard stuff aswell this year. About 4 weeks back fishing an English S coast mark the only way I could get a take in an area with fish infront of me and "busting" bait fish was on one specific hard plastic fished dead slow then paused for 5 seconds. Most takes came on the pause just before the plug floated onto the top again. leaving it on top was not always an option due to the gulls that were onto the action. A similar "neutral" boyancy plug interestingly did not work.

·
Registered
263 Posts
A very interesting technique (new to me). Reading up on it some more here and elsewhere, I reckon it could be ideal for a nearby mark. Eager to give it a shot at the weekend. Though like others, I wonder if I have the patience to let things sit a bit!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Must admt I haven't done it much with hard lures yet (mostly through my lack of fishing hours this year). Plenty with soft baits.

Are you using any gel flavourings on the hard baits when going out with the intention of doing this Keith?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Must admt I haven't done it much with hard lures yet (mostly through my lack of fishing hours this year). Plenty with soft baits.

Are you using any gel flavourings on the hard baits when going out with the intention of doing this Keith?
Been using 'smelly jelly' for years on hard lures Ben.
Next season will see the use of 'other' proven pastes and scents for stopped and suspended hard lures.

When a lure is stopped, fish can approach it, suck it in etc and I think it makes sense to have every advantage available working in the water.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Thought so. Makes sense - even if I'm sometimes to lazy to actually do it. New Years resolution is to actually bother to do all the things I know I should.

Have you tried many of the 'soft' hard baits for this? I know some of them don't cast as far, but if you're drifting in current I can imagine it rarely matters.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was sent a 'soft' coated hard lure last year by a m8. It isn't that big and i haven't had time to expand on its use this season.
i would suggest that the crossover between hard and soft lures could potentially be very positive (especially as far as suspending lures go).

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
90% of our bream are caught with this style of fishing plus meny other speices h/b are wound back slowly then left to rise (suspending) you watch the line for take up then strike but most hook them selfs as to sp we youse them like bait or the same method as hb's depending on style of sp curly tails should be jerked up then left to flutterdown thats when the fish strike most of the time podgys can be left in water with plenty of movement to keep the motion going of the sp

·
Registered
498 Posts
hardley touched hard plastic this year, enjoy using sp's too much, only had wrasse deadsticking sp's but its a heart thumper when you get the take, had some good size pollock doing nothing with the small metals, as far as bass go ive had nearly all on undulated method off the bottom(cheers m8) and drifting current, love that method especially, going to use it a lot more in future, great fun

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
funny reading this really i was did the same with flies a lot in the past, only started using xlayers recently and i have a cracking bass take it dead sticked, as for plastics i had 3 taek static last week nothing huge though good fish all the same.

Will tri it more and more through the winter.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Don,t exactly know the full meaning behind the term "deadtsicked" but I will tell you of an experience I had of drifting a Xlayer down tide into a shallow water wreck in about 14ft of water during the summer on a Spring tide, I knew where the fish were as to say, their position was just up tide of the wreck about no more than 6 mtrs up tide of it and I was anchored well away "up tide" from the wreck and I had to lift the rod every now and then to stop the Xlayer touching bottom to try and keep it in mid water as the lure approached the killing zone, I started to feather the line with my index finger and also started to give the lure some movement by slight twitches of the rod tip and this was very effective, I had hooked the Xlayer with a Dexter Wydex twin barb semi circle hook just before the head and most the fish were hooked in the corner jaw ,I have tried the same set up from the shore and it does not have the same result, why this is I still ponder on about, is it because of the hook shape or bad technique as I have done well with Straight shank hooks ???

·
Registered
101 Posts
Interesting thread again Keith. I suppose I discovered 'deadsticking' when I found I was hooking bass when using the mobile phone or eating a snack bar and the lure was not moving. It was only last year when I began using softies in earnest. Interesting too about your trout experiences. I used to fish Sutton Bingham (a long time ago) and one angler taught me how to suspend a nymph in the water column. It was thought of as not proper fly fishing by some anglers and very unfair for those who were not catching with other methods. It worked well in the right conditions. There is so much to learn though with deadsticking and what is right one day may not work the next. The scent factor is important as the fish have longer to suss up the lure.
Nick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts