The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got the rest of this week off before I start the new job on Monday (more money to spend on fishing, just don't tell the missus I got a huge payrise :wink:...).

Anyway, decided to try out a mark which is normally fished for mullet, i have had some 6 mullet sessions down there in the past, which for mullet, is pretty darn good!!

I figured there really should be wrasse and bass there, in fact I have seen a big bass follow me in before and spook a shoal of 5lb mullet off the feed.

HRF homemades it is.

After a while I was wondering why there were no wrasse there and think it might be because they haven't seen a lure before and maybe don't know it's for eating?? It's not too deep a mark, water there on a spring low, boulders like cars, sunken heads, kelp etc etc, ticks all the boxes.

I eventually found they were hanging out close to the cliff edges and large rocks, not any takes in "open" water. Odd, but there are huss and eels down there at night, maybe they know better than to venture too far?

Anyway, finally started to get a few very cautious bites and eventually got into the fish ending with 7, the biggest went 3-12, big fat lips on it like a big wrasse does but alas it was short and not too fat.

02.09.10Wrasse1.JPG small ballan, about 1.5lb

02.09.10Wrasse2.JPG is this a ballan? Not sure about the markings around the head. but looking at the other species it may just be a pale ballan rather than a female corkwing or rock cook. About 12oz, not weighed.

02.09.10Wrasse3.JPG nicely marked ballan about 2lb or so. Love the lateral line.

02.09.10Wrasse4.jpg And this one with a big head and small body, check out those lips!! Weighed it and it went 3-12.

Had about 3 or 4 others and numerous follows but nothing worth a photo.

Also tried for a bass with some Sayori Shads and white Xlayers but no joy, couple of hits on the Aji (that's the colour, clear with a green back) Sayori but likely wrasse as well since I was working it slow bouncing between the boulders.

Water was kind of clear, not much swell but a fairly stiff SE breeze.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
That,s a good result Andy !

I have yet to have a go up my way for the Wrasse with SP,s might give it a go soon seeing that I have caught this SP bug in a big way.

When you fish for Wrasse on your marks are there any strong tides? or do you fish back eddy,s ?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
most of my wrasse marks are just out of the tide movng the SP slowly bumping bottom (normally boulders) occasional pause and twitch, you will know all about it when you get a take, it tends to be violent and fast.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
That's good sesh Andy. That 3rd one has a different shaped 'forehead', makes me think it's a different species of wrasse?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Thanks for that Andy

Most of my Wrasse marks in the Menai Straits are in strong currents and deep water so it will be a bit tricky for me to get it right ,probably have to use slightly heavier lead heads which I am reluctant to do.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had less wrasse in deeper water, my best fish continue to come from areas which dry (or nearly dry) at low water. But not sure if you have the tide range we do (10+m), no idea about the Menai at all.

I don't know your area at all but the first thing I look for are boulders and kelp, bootlace also at this time of year for bonus Billy's on the same methods and lures.

Brown every time. Been trying the purple ones and they simply don't work here. Only ever had one on purple, the Xlayer colour called sparkle berry (I call it brown) is perfect and will outfish purple by 10 to one easily.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The marks are in about 30-40ft of water and are Kelp covered ledges and I would only be able to approach them with a boat on neap tides even then there is a fair flow of water it,s an absolute nightmare from the shore even fishing with a Conoflex Scorpion beach caster it,s heavy going.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds like one to approach with a sacrificial drop shot rig using a stone or something attached to the end of the rig with a rubber band (ONLY if boat fishing, you obviously can't cast a stone tied on with a rubber band, it's dangerous)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
One other interesting thing about the mark is that the Wrasse are hiding in the ledges and pounce out at any food items, so like yourself you got to be quick to get them out of the cover, otherwise it,s "bye bye" rig and Wrasse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts