The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's a long weekend ths weekend but let's have a midway report now I have landed some fish...

Friday night I tried something different, wading with SP's on a clean beach. Nothing doing but I did tread on a big sole in knee deep water just on dark. Felt it under my heel and toes and saw it take off like something had trodden on it :-D with sand flying everywhere. At least that was a sign of life, just a shame that's all the life I saw.

Saturday PM, I went to a mark I had been meaning to try HRF. Deep water sandy bottom but heavy kelp and heads close in with a normal swell coming round the corner to get things moving. Wind was a mare, very strong and changing direction every few minutes. Nightmare.

Started with a 5 inch senko on a shaky football head. Got it in the water, let it fall on a tight line and on bottom contact started a shaky and pausy retreive. Second cast doing this and things went tight and fish on. And FISH ON... Couldn't do anything with it, into the kelp and solid. Lost lure. Was a good fish that.

Kept missing takes in the following casts, assume it was small rockies, bite marks on th lures and the bloney things have worked out how to remove the rattles from an Xlayer without being hooked, only the rattle gone, the tail was fine. Bloney fish.

I then hooked a smaller fish which was coming up fine and I was just getting colour when it let go. AAARGgggghhhhh!!!!!!

Soon gave up as I was runnng out if time.

Sunday PM, just now...

The Xlayer and 7g shad head with 2/0 was still on the rod so we started with that. Same mark. I have a fish with my lure in it's gob to catch...

About 4 casts in, longer cast, OTD take and fish on!! Hmmm. I know that feeling!!

MacXlayer..JPG

Mackerel, HRF, OTD on a soft plastic. I would NEVER have thought it possible a few months ago. Had to put my foot on it as it wouldn't pose for a photo. Dispatched it and it's being cooked as I type. Missus loves them, can't get fresher.

Next cast, nothing doing, swell is coming up.

next cast, shaky slow one further out beyond the kelp, shaking the lure on the bottom and mid shake I was HAMMERED!!! Missed the fish, nearly lost the rod it hit so hard. What was it??

next cast, same pattern, longer cast, sink it, shake and wait, lift and pull, shake and wait. tap, tap STRIKE, FISH ON!! Running har, the reel is inging but he's taken away from cover so with rod arched over and having to hold it high and stretch out to avoid snagging the fish is finally on the surface. Got to be an HRF PB I think to myself.

Unfortunately not, went 3-8-0 on the digi scales. Lovely dark fish, swam off ncely but not before breaking my net which has been threatening to die for over a year now. Well it was 13 years old.

30.05Rockie1..JPG 30.05Rockie2..JPG

I finished up on this mark with the tide flooding fast and the swell coming up it was getting dificult to fish.

Took a look at a mark to see the japweed has now taken hold. Looks like a tricky one to get a lure through but I reckon it needs to be tried!!

JapWeed..JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Really enjoyed that report Andy. Unlucky on the lost fish - but exciting eh ?

Great to see that you landed a few too, lovely Pig, and good to hear that you've got fresh Makerel for Tea !!

Sounds like your season is about to kick-off :D

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Brilliant report Andy it was well worth the read, I could look at those Wrasse all day, the are such a beautiful fish. Well done :-D

·
Registered
340 Posts
Done well m8

is hard to find any 2 wrasse looking the same with all the colour options they seem to have!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Nice one Andy. Who'd have believed a mackerel would take such a big lure a short while ago :shock:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Well done Andy - looks like it's coming together now. Cracking wrasse and I'm sure you'll be back for the one that got away ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts