The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Cheers Dave. A couple of interesting tips hidden away in there. Not sure about the exaggerated strike though!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Looks like he's fishing a short carolina on mono Paul.
Hence the striking through what looks like a post 20g lead to make the hookset as the lure is falling and getting nailed.

A la 'freshwater bass fishing'.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike,
Pretty much ALL the vids of HRF done in Japan seem to show them using Carolina rigs, about 6-8" between weight (normally non-toxic-so real weight harder to judge) and the SP.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I wonder how popular the carolina rig is over there?
Very, and for good reason I think.

I've showed the method to quite a few guys and it's rarely failed to catch rockfish if they are around.

Dave:

Those non-toxics are huge by comparison eh. Make a nicer noise than lead though with a real glass bead.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strangely I have rarely seen the japanese using glass beads in their rigs in HRF-But they always seem to use them when targetting Bream though??

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Nice one Dave!
The hard strike is proabably to take up the stretch in the flourocarbon or mono and the fact the hook is likely rigged weedless. Not sure if it rigged Carolina though. It looks like on the drop the weight is either not pegged or texas rigged. It obviously works though and worth a watch. Mind you I might have my Texas and Carolina mixed up!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Strangely I have rarely seen the japanese using glass beads in their rigs in HRF-But they always seem to use them when targetting Bream though??
Yea, we added that into the rig based upon the US Bass rig.
That uses a longer leader etc but mix it up to find what works for our Rockfish.

I often use 4-6" leaders and very short hops over boulders unless the boulders are huge like at 'muppets' where i might use 3 - 4 ft to leave the lure above the boulder horizon even if the weight is between stones.

It's often worth trying lots of variations but, longer leaders make it much harder to detect takes OTD.

Mike:

The carolina was early in the video. Much of it was indeed texas rigged OTD by the look of it.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Keith,
Hadn't thought about the adjusting the leader length, to control the visibility of the lure-Makes sense when you think about it.
Metal/Glass does give a very audibal "click" underwater, not much chance of anything missing it.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Cheers Keith,
Hadn't thought about the adjusting the leader length, to control the visibility of the lure-Makes sense when you think about it.
Nor me Dave. That gem is courtesy of Kevin Van Dam. He's made a few million $ on the Bass and if it's good enough for him....

Metal/Glass does give a very audibal "click" underwater, not much chance of anything missing it.
I first read about this in a book by Rolland Martin, another gem with a freshwater heritage that works great in salt. Bass respond VERY well to long leader carolina's in boulders, or, just on the backside of them too. The trick is a free running weight for Bass with light weights or, a heavy 'fixed' bolt rig. Again, one often works over another.

Stoopid circle rigged and bolted xlayers work well for Bass but not so great for Wrasse. Suckers v's Biters I guess.

Hope we aren't steering off topic but thats a good video and, maybe a first look at HRF for many readers so I guess a few methods discussed can't hurt.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Very cool, thanks for that Dave. Always cool to see something 'live' rather than in text.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good video, But the Daiwa HRF DVD that Mike Kennard has is better, well shot, plenty of detail on rigs,and rigging the SP.

If anyone knows any good LRF technique videos on YouTube (or similar) Please post a link.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
There may well be some useful stuff on the Shimano japan site.

I recall seeing some stuff, but this comp at home has gone screwy and can't browse them.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Good video, But the Daiwa HRF DVD that Mike Kennard has is better, well shot, plenty of detail on rigs,and rigging the SP.
It is excellent and, i have a copy of it if any locals want to view it. LRF too.
I also have a great set of 'mooks' book + dvd on rockfishing which is really good. Shows a guy taking fish outr of cracks in rocks etc..

·
Registered
629 Posts
Very interesting thread, especially the metal/glass bead bit, this is maybe a bit off thread but gives some background on using audible clicking beads for added attraction.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewbrassandglass.html

I've been searching on and off, for a UK source of Brass drilled weights or something similar, after reading that article on the Tackletour site, but so far no luck, have any of you come across a suitable source?

(I looked at brass jewellery beads but they tend to be hollow)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I watched a guy fishing in Tokyo, standing on rocks and fishing in the gaps between them. He was using tiny pieces of oyster though and something that resembled a one metre whip. A bit like (freshwater) bleak fishing style but for LRF!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Yea, they fish for Trout without reels too and with the fly. it's called....
Tenkara.

me and kev have considered 6 meter to hand whips with a xlayer in current for bass. Not done it yet but it IS possible.
You'd be surprised what you can do without a reel.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
It is excellent and, i have a copy of it if any locals want to view it. LRF too.
I also have a great set of 'mooks' book + dvd on rockfishing which is really good. Shows a guy taking fish outr of cracks in rocks etc..
I wouldn't mind seeing that if possible Keith

1 - 20 of 21 Posts