The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sort of a backward thought process here but...

Can any of you post some thoughts on good quality jig heads for HRF please. Basically I want some for Perch fishing and was wondering what you all use. I know Perch aren't HRF but there is a theory behind the madness. I keep buying cheap jig heads with relatively naff hooks, they rust if I leave the soft plastic on so end up throwing them to one side anyway, plus the wire gauge is too thin for that one time I may catch a decent Pike by mistake.

Name and pictures of what you use would be a great help. Cheers.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Andy

I have been known to be a "bit" fussy about jig heads. My recommendation would be:

- avoid the mega expensive stuff and stick with the solid reliable but cheaper stuff.
- don't use the flimsy fine wire hooks
- don't leave your jig heads in lures in their packets or in boxes if you can help it. Rigging becomes fast enough with experience not to worry abiyt rigging in advance.
- try jig heads without lead collars and instead either glue the lures or put them on so they don't move but you can change them quickly.

I have a new approach (for me anyhow) which avoids lots of the problems I have had in the past,. I will post on a new thread when I get time.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Fair call Alex,

Just to qualify my earlier post, if you are not losing jigheads then quality is obviously fine.

·
Registered
498 Posts
love decoys for 3"shads like d.o.a's etc but they'r pricey, delande heads (mr fish) are good for lighter stuff i use them upto 5g, i get my 7g football heads off ebay or direct from jimmy at [email protected]
you can get 60 delivered for about £8!!, they'v got quite long shanks and are good for xlayers,senkos etc, the quality is quite good for the money, thats one on the other thread about the hitch hikers

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I really like the Decoy Tank Heads. Not cheap, but coated football body, nice small very very strong hook. Not the longest of shanks so they don't suit every bait, but those they do they're spot on.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Standard football heads? I have a do-it mould which does 1/16oz up to 1oz. Off the top of my head the others are 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 and 1oz. The hook sizes are 4, 2, 1, 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, 4/0 and 4/0. I also don't use the standard hooks and have found mustad bln's which fit instead. 32746's is the hook model no. About us13 for 100 hooks in smaller size so about 8 or 9p each. Obvious set up costs but way cheaper the number of leads I lose!

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I have just got some of the Molix jig heads from **** and the quality of these is supurb compaired to some out there.
Havn't used them yet (next week) but they do look well made.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I've been getting through a lot of Jig Heads this year. I love the Decoy heads, but they are just too expensive to use in snaggy HRF ground.

My current 2 favourite sets of Jig Heads, are the Darter Heads from AGM (i prefer the FW type to the SW) http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/terminal-tackle-jigheads-c-56_83.html I've had good fish on these with no problems, and the Jig Power Heads from **** http://www.mrfishjersey.com/jigheads/jig-power.html they are very good value for money IMHO and again have served me well on good fish.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
If you fish HRF for long enough you'll soon realise that paying £5 for 4 jig heads is crazy.
However, this said, the quality heads and hooks are light years better than el cheapo but, the difference is in the hooks, not the whole jig.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Andy,
I have just gotten some Owner R-Type jigheads from **** for 3" SP for perch/jack pike. I am really impressed by the quality and I think they were around £3 a pack of 4 or 5-So very reasonable price. Worth a look. Hopefully out this weekend chasing perch/pike with them this weekend.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers Dave :) Still can't fish at the moment but a new kitchen for the mrs is bagging me loads of brownie points to spend later ;)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
i will 2nd carl on the happy hooker heads, exceptional service and really good hooks i have only had one bend out and that was through a bad snag and i gave it all i had pulling ofr a break and it just would break.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts