The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What an afternoon that was, hot, sunny, clear water, loads of fish!!

I lost count in the end but my 2.5 hours HRF session was mental.

approx 25 wrasse landed, 1 big wrasse lost, screaming take, scorching hot reel screaming and braid on barnacles a few moments later. Same mark I lost a U-Boat about a week ago. :evil: 1 bass lost in the surf. Bum. He threw the hook.

Here's a few pics, didn't have time to photo them all and the average size was about 1.5lb I guess.

3-9rockiewest.JPG

^^ 3lb 9oz, lovely colours. Different angle for the pic this time.

Rockiewest.JPG

^^ A much darker fish, same rock.

rockiewest2.JPG

Red and green, standard ballan colours over here. most rockies are this colour I would say. Again same rock fishing from.

3-12rockiewest.JPG

^^ Green 3lb 12oz, best fish of the afternoon.

Green3-12.JPG

^^ Same fish. I took this to show you the mouth. It is a myth that you need small hooks for wrasse. When targetting "proper" rockies a 5/0 is not a problem and is standard for hardback crabs. You can see this guy will have no trouble even with an 8/0 and his mouth is not fully extended. Im not putting my fingers any closer for you though!! He was not at all pleased to pose for the camera. I prefer to get them in green so they go back better.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, all fish coem from standing on the same rock casting to the same area. I don't think I had any of the same fish twice. The place is crawling with them!!

Camera is a Fuji Finepix J12. Done me very well. Got it half price from Jessops ages ago. My longest lasting camera ever, not drowned it yet!! It'll go swimming next time out now no doubt!!

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Yes, all fish coem from standing on the same rock casting to the same area. I don't think I had any of the same fish twice.
Makes me think. We've got a lot of that stuff out the back of Bradda Head, but the thing is it's only really accessible by boat and I'm not totally sure how to go about fishing for them on the drift. Whether the drift would actually makes a helluva lot of difference I don't know.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't think a slow drift would matter, but I am no boat angler. maybe Bob or **** can answer.

I don;t fish static lures for wrasse, always moving and twitching, normally a slow handle turn with rod twitches at the same time, turn, twitch witch, turn, twitch twitch with the occasional very fast dozen twitches with no handle turn (but the twitching takes the rod right back behind you so it's still moving towards you anyway.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should add, I don't stop it moving as with the ground I am fishing, that's suicidal for lure and jighead!!, keep moving, feel the rocks, twitch it over them when you first feel contact, you have to have a rod which can feel it and reactions to twitch over in time or it's curtains. You don;t have to fish such heavy cover of course, it's somewhere you will progress as you learn to feel the lure.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
I should add, I don't stop it moving as with the ground I am fishing, that's suicidal for lure and jighead!!
That's what I was thinking. Next time I get out round there I'll give it a try.

you have to have a rod which can feel it
methinks I'm gonna have too think more about an Infeet..... ;-)

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
cornwall darkest wales looks like my next trip is guernsey lol well done mate

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Great trip, Andy. We tried the same today but they wouldn't come out to play....

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Cracking session Andy, was a glorious day to be out. I was looking over at Guernsey earlier actually wondering whether you were out!

And ditto Tim. I had a 'bycatch' Bass after ten minutes earlier when after Wrasse, so expected a good session. Sadly asides from a couple of brief contacts, nothing doing. I dont think the ground was rough enough where I was, it was mainly flat rock.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Top report as usual Andy, great looking fish mate well done :p

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Great report and excellent photo's. You're certainly bagging up with the plastics right now!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
The colours on that fish in the bottom picture are just incredible. Such a beautiful fish, each one has its own character almost

1 - 18 of 18 Posts