The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Popped out last evening for a quick HRF session down a cliff.

Looked nice to start if a bit still on the wave front.

Started off with a DOA paddle tail something or other from AGM. Brown colour about 3 inches long I think they are. They have a licorice (sp??) sort of smell to them and I thought they might work.

2nd cast and I felt a tap tap so struk and the Infeet bent over. No line bein taken though so I figured it might be a small pollack but no... Small rockie.

RockieSP..JPG RockieSP2..JPG

Fished on for a bit with only a couple of pulls but no hook ups.

Decided to switch to a Bass SP in the fading light as the swell had come up somewhat with the tide making better conditions.

Went for the sagat and stuck a homemade self weighted hook on. (note to self to melt the end of the solder down to allow easier insertion of the hook.) The lure doesn't really sink under just the hook but needs little weight for a slow drift downwards. They weigh about a gram extra with the solder on the hook.

SagatHomemadeHook.JPG

nothing doing unfortunately and as it was getting to last light a gang of teenagers turned up along the rock from me so time to go.

might have been more if I stayed into dark but I don't care for fishing near people. If I did I would have bagged a ton of Mackerel on LRF by now...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
So, it's getting better then Andy.

Seriously, get those lures on the deck and leave them 'alone'. Just show the fish the lure, bang bottom and wait, perhaps shake.
Hold you braid just weighted and hold on.

You'll get there. We had a tough one last night. Caught fish but jeez it was tough.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Just show the fish the lure, bang bottom and wait, perhaps shake.
Amen to the shake. I know I haven't caught too much yet to really put an ore in, but I've spent quite a bit of time just watching gobies attacking small soft baits in rock pools while I've been out. Little hops and skips get their interest, but they'll often stand off and just watch it. Give it the tiniest of shakes just to quiver the taila bit and wuite often they'll jump on it. I know they're a different species, but I don't imagine wrasse being that different to be honest - watching, sitting then jumping down on the bait (from above) when the it does something more subtle/interesting. I may be wrong, but it's a nice confidence boost when you actually have a proper bait in the water.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Ben:

Absolutely.

Of course, I can't purport to being the oracle of fish thinking but I do know that what we see as action is most likely spooky to something like a fish.
Mainly, it's a case of scale.

Look at even the smallest lure alongside the average fish and it is disproportionally large in most cases.
over action in such cases would trigger a threat response or a fight or flight response and not indicate the presence of an easy meal.

Just shaking, twitching etc is far more representative of the 'easy' meal imho.
Perhaps not the most exciting 'way' to present a lure, but, perhaps the most effective based upon recent experiments.

Straight tailed variants have outfished all others by some wide margin. That factor alone leans toward reinforcing the theory above.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
No, that isn't a straight tail.

Straight tails are a family as are curl tails, beaver tails, paddle tails and fluke tails.

Straight tails include most slug baits like sluggo's and xlayers however, they are generically termed 'slug baits'. Fluke and split tails are essentially straight. Pintails are usually long tapered as are shaky worms. Loads to learn and lots of resources out there to explain them.

You might get a straight worm or a curly tailed worm or, a cut tail worm. Each have their own uses and actions.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Curltails are in the straight tail family?! Oh Mother Mary...!
Something tell's me you're thinking too hard about it Timmyboy! Just look at the shape of the tail...! Each group is pretty self-explanitory. Straight tailed baits have straight tails (xlayers, sluggoss etc), curly tailed abits have CURLY tails. What Keith says above is that they're different families, not the same ;-)

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done Andy, another great report and a nice fish as well !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts