The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 2 weeks of not even seeing a fishing rod I got out this afternoon.

And what a difference that time made. Lost the "feel" for HRF and took me a good half hour to get the feel of the rod and lure back and remember what the different feelings were.

Bumpy rocks, scratchy feeling weed and then reality kicked in and i was reminded what a bite felt like.

Chomp.jpg

Nearly. Definitely a wrasse then!! Really savage take and I don't think it was a small fish, just hapenned to bite short of the hook.

Into the feel of it now and well reminded the Yamatoyo SW PE #1.0 was great again, especially now I have it spooled right (cheers Mark S for the spare spool), casts an absolute mile and sensitive even at 50 yards.

Bites were pretty hard to come by today, fairly shallow boulder field with bits of weed (bubble weed mostly but odd green lettuce) but very clear water, much more so than before i went on my hols.

I decided to do some faster twitchy retreives and immediately missed 2 massive takes in the upper layers. Bass?? It didn't come back.

I got pushed back up the rocks with the tide and started to get a few more bites as the boulders got more water over them, then I got a nice bite, good solid feeling taps folwed by a pull which with wrasse signifies time to lift the rod sharply, and I knew all about this one!! He charged off beween the boulders left then right leading me a merry dance but eventually tamed him and into the net.

Big blue lips and lovely pattern, shame the lips don't show all that well in the pics.

Wrassemouth.jpg

Wrasse3-9.jpg

Solid chunky fish and I do struggle with guestimating the weight of rockies so I stuck him in my weigh bag and he pulled the digi's down to 3lb 9oz. Not too bad for my intro back into HRF.

A few more casts saw some small fish follow all the way in nipping the tail but no more fish. So 8 lures lost in total today I called it a day.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Lovely looking fish. Are those "home-made" Xlayers?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are home made, similar to Xlayers but no rattle and different scent. And you get to make your own colours. Brown is by far the most productive for me but have had fish on the proper purple Xlayers.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Lovely pics and fish Andy.

I've not made any brown softies, got the dye though so I'll give 'em a go.

I've just come back from a session in the yak and can confirm wrasse love fluoro pink and clear sayoris.

Biggest was a 5-2 but like a pillock I did'nt have the camera, scales yes, camere no!

Bit foggy out there too.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have found the darker brown the better Dicky. Quite a few drops of brown and a couple of purple daren it that bit more. Made some pure blue and purple ones to try out next time. Pretty horrid out there...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Done well mate , did not take you long to get back in the driving seat!

A nice chunky wrasse on homemade lure - cant beat it!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Andy, i'm going to try some of this braid and was wondering what you meant by this?

Into the feel of it now and well reminded the Yamatoyo SW PE #1.0 was great again, especially now I have it spooled right
Does it need spooling in a particular way?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts