The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been thinking about a spot for a while now that I was sure there would be wrasse. Havent been able to get out for a day or two and was desperate to get out to this spot and give the wrasse a good go. I left the house this morning with 2 inches of snow all around and made my way gingerly to my destination. After the long walk down to the spot conditions looked good with not so much as a ripple and bright sun with crystal clear water. I was fishing into 15ft of water with deep gullies and intermittent boulder reef. It was low water and just turning. Even though I came for wrasse I couldnt help flinging a tide minnow and my patchinko for 15mins.
I then swapped over onto my trusty Giant Xlayer in AYU mounted on a weedless decoy violence jighead. First few casts I was just getting used to feeling the bottom profile through the rod on the retrive. I cast out 25yds and just let the lure sink to the bottom and as I tightened up I felt a good kick and kept winding into a gentle tug to make sure the hook was set. The fish did make me wander what it was before I saw it as it was going well and not giving up.
Image0017.jpg

It measured 42cms and was 2 1/2lb.
I fished on and within a couple of casts had another good banging hit. Felt the weight for a few seconds and then it came off. I cast to exactly the same spot as the last cast and just in the same spot on the retrive another good hit. This time the fish stayed hooked and instantly felt like a better fish making vertical dives for cover.
Image0023.jpg Image0019.jpg Image0021.jpg Image0022.jpg

This beauty was 44cms and 3 1/4 lb.
That was it for fish as I had to move off that particular mark for fear of being cut off on my return journey. The pics are crap as I forgot my new camera and had to make do with a nokia work phone instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Well in Luke - terrific to be catching hard-fighting fish on lures at this time of year in these cold & snowy conditions!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice work Luke!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done Luke, great effort in this cold spell :p

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nice one Luke! I had wondered if they'd take giant xlayer's, thanks for answering that question!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts