The Lure Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that title might get a few people to look, Well we all spend loads of money on state of the art Japanese plastic, we love our lures. But here is the rub, I will bet that 95% of the guys on this board have at least one lure in their box with blunt hooks!!! Anyone familar with the "bump and gone", well the first thing to check is how sharp the trebles are. Just think that you might waste the only hit of the day, by having dull points on your trebles!!!

Right how sharp is sharp?? Place the treble point against your finger nail, and try to draw it across the nail. If it is sharp, it won't move (sensible forces here guys-especially Mr Spitfire!!) However if it scratches it's way across the nail-it's dull/blunt and might be costing you fish.

£10 will buy you a good ceramic hook hone-tie it to your bag/chest pack/wirst, try and get into the habit of checking the hook points through-out the day/night while your fishing. A quick touch up will up your chances of hooking up.
Personally I have used the Tiemco ceramic hook hone for years-and it works a treat. Great for a touch up on trebles like ST46, or a full scale reshape on heavier hooks to create a blade/cutting point.
http://english.tiemco.co.jp/project...rand=29&category=2&kind=60&commodity_code=751

Next time you retrieve the lure onto the beach, just think about those trebles and how contact with anything (including bass) will slowly dull them.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Sharp responce Si, point well made Dave :p

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys, well maybe not the puns.

But no point having a great lure with dull hooks, it is up there with spending a fortune on gear and tying dodgy knots-some details can make all the difference.

·
Registered
773 Posts
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I'm certainly guilty of rarely checking my trebles but I've just been changing hooks on some of my older lures and its amazing how dull they were. I already religiously check over my kit prior to every session; change leader and new allbright, new lure clip for every outing, running a hone over the trebles is now going to be added to this routine. [/FONT]

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I carry about 6 or 7 stones spread across my gear and boxes. I find it absolutely imperative with SP's especially that you maintain a sticky sharp point. All the bumps across sand and rock etc takes the point off in no time, making it easy to bounce hooks out of fish, especially Wrasse. I'll sharpen my SP hook point every half hour when bumping and flicking around in rough stuff. Really good habit to get into.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Great post Dave.

I'm in the market for a hook sharpener in ceramic.

I lost my last 'metal' one but they only last a season anyway.

Super sharp hooks are a must especially for soft lure men. EVERY time bottom contact is made or, every few casts it pays to just 'thumb' the point.
Sticky hooks are best checked this way against your thumbnail but a quick glance is better than not checking at all.

Who stocks ceramic ones like that ?

·
Banned
1,282 Posts
I've always run the file on hooks before and during a session. I have been using the one made by Berkley that has a vice on one end and a groove on the stone for easy filing.
Cost about €7.00 here which is pretty cheap T.G. as I'm always loosing them.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Toby,
Would like to tell you what I think-but it would be a bit offensive.
Like many things that are meant to make things quicker/easier-it does the job about half as well.
The flat white one is firstly a much higher quality ceramic, one side smooth to really polish up the point and get it sticky sharp, the other side is rough and makes short work of reshaping even the toughest hooks.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I take it then that you don't like the blue one?:badlol:

Thanks for your advice Dave. Yet another thing to put on the 'I must have list'! :)

Toby

1 - 18 of 18 Posts