The Lure Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ask me why I couldn't really tell you, probably because it was the first fish I ever caught by myself when I was down St. Caths one early morning years and years ago. What ever the reason I love 'em, I love to catch them and love to eat them. One of the best things about a Bream is they never give up, a constant fight until the bitter end whether they’re big or small. I’ve also got pretty good at a) Catching them & b) finding them, but only using bait.

Because of this I am determined to catch one on some LRF kit, as the places I can get to it’s a rarity that the go the 3-4lb mark although I’ve seen a 5lber caught at St. Caths in the past. I have done a lot of reading on this now and I have a game plan formulated. Thinking of trying for them this eve (also get to use my LRF for the first time!), the thinking that the Bream detection should be easier with a light rod, Bream are known for their subtle bits and don’t tend to hook themselves easily. The last Bream I caught was last year on bait and weighed in at just over 3.5lb from a boat. I am determined to get one using a lure and as lighter kit a possible, has anyone ever managed one on a SP? I’ve heard of Bream being taken on plugs and even feathers, but I’m intrigued to know if anyone has had some luck with a soft plastic?

I know that the lure should be small and that paddle tails are the way to go and the retrieval technique isn’t too hard, so I will start from there. I am determined and I will succeed!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Not on soft lure but yes on plug.

I'm thinking drop shotting could be the way but...

With the caveat of protecting yourself against any rogue Wrasse.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I tried a carolina rig with a 13.5g & 7g lead onto a size 4 hook and I used those mini paddle tails that **** has got in. He didn't have and jig heads that were small enough so he came up with the carolina rig idea. It worked a treat I was just round the corner from Lobsters claw near the water pump and gave it a bash, had a few bits but also lost a fair few rigs think its the way forward tho. Then stuck the slayer on and had a few goes at that, lost a pretty decent Wrasse then had to leave to hold onto the light as I was not going to go back up with just a head torch! On my mates boat this weekend for a trip out so I'm going to take him to my bream spot on the southwest and see what happens, if all else fails I'll get him to head to corbiere and hit the Mackeral on the light gear. I will persit with this breaming though, I'm determined and even more so after today. Got the whole of the summer ahead it'll happen at some point.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Wondered who that was fishing, could see your head torch from Bouley. There was a few Polish fishing for squid on the pier - the secrets out?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.