The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as you might be able to tell I have not caught anything of any interest on a lure recently hence the lack of posts.

Now if you are an extreme lure fisher stop reading what is about to follow is probably nearly as bad as a bait report, well in a sense it is but I will let you figure that out.

I took my new firetip 2-4oz Bass rod, tied on a set of feather and a 3oz lead and off I went. It was the first time I have caught anything on feathers from the shore (Last week I had a fantastic boat trip with Dave Nuth only caught mackerel but what fun)

Anyway back to last night, the mark was packed so I tried here, I tried there and then someone wondered away from what is a happy hunting ground for me and not so good for the pollack. So I started chucking feathers, in a short time I had 1 fish, was not sure what it was later identified as a Horse Mackerel, over the next 1 1/2 hours I took another 8.

It was such a blast not least because I was the about the only one catching stuff and remarkably even on a powerful rod it was still great sport. Admittedly it took a double shot to actual strip any line against a fairly soft drag but what a blast.

Ok so maybe it is not high end lure fishing, but there was no bait is sight so I guess it counts. Either way I am stoked and still smiling this morning.

I really have not caught to much the last few days even with a good number of hours trying different techniques.

Warning if you don't like bait fishing stop reading now !!!!
At the risk of getting my head bitten off are Horse Mackerel any good as bait ? Dead or alive ?

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
A fish is a fish Jeremy! And yes, I have heard of Scad (another name for Horse Mackerel) being used to good suucess when fished live, freelined or under a large float. You could also try head and guts at night along the bottom of harbour walls etc.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Scad are much underated on light gear. If only they grew to 5lbs!

....At the risk of getting my head bitten off are Horse Mackerel any good as bait ? Dead or alive ?
A friend told me they were a useable livebait for big bass and pollack on a certain deep boat marks...if I went to those marks I'd probably try a big SP first though.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Big up the horse mackerel! LRF is mad isn't it?

I am looking forward to catching 1/2 lb fish with a grin on my face that any angler who has only caught mackerel on a boat rod and feathers would never, ever understand.

Oh and getting smashed by bigger fish? Even bigger grin (so long as they only take an easily shed lure with them).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scad are coming !

Brilliant.
I will show my ignorance but why in particular is this good. I mean apart from catching them which is a laugh.

Are there any more lurey tactics I can try to catch them with, I would love to get one on the firefly UL, it will be totally nuts as they seam pretty fiesty.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
They will take pretty much the same stuff you use for Mackerel, but will also feed avidly at night. About this time onwards they will gather under lights hammering baitfish. I personally think that pound for pound, a Scad fights harder than a Mackerel, and thats saying something!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They will take pretty much the same stuff you use for Mackerel, but will also feed avidly at night. About this time onwards they will gather under lights hammering baitfish. I personally think that pound for pound, a Scad fights harder than a Mackerel, and thats saying something!
Hi Mark

I only caught my first Mackerel last thursday on the boat trip using feathers, so what lures would I use for Mackerel ?
Thanks

·
Registered
346 Posts
My mate loves mackerel fishing, but not for the mackerel but for the scads that swim with them, he recons scads taste better :shock:
fishermen can't believe there good luck when he swaps any mackerel he caught for there scads. :-D
Full of bones last time I tried one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts