The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
As I say I left my plugs in the garage to make myself give the SPs a proper go last night; I've bought a few this year and they've sat mostly ignored in my bag as Ive done all my (not much) fishing with plugs.
I went with a friend to a local sppot where we've had plenty of success catching whiting on just about any worm or fish bait. He fished the usual rag and mackerel while I finally had a try of various soft lures on jig heads. And we both blanked, but I had a great time and had my first experience of the feel and control available in this type of fishing, the sensitivity was incredible. I could feel the pebbles under the jig as I slowly retrieved. The smallest I went was 7g on 15lb power pro with a teklon 802ml and I think given lighter line the rod could maybe work even a couple of grams lighter for this type of 'beach jigging' in conditions as calm as last night, although you'd be well compromised on casting distance. I can only imagine the feel on lrf gear, uh oh slippery slope ahead.
My mate Dave the worm drowner was my benchmark and as he didn't catch i'm not surprised at my result. Trying this style is a bit of a new start in fishing terms and i feel wholly remotivated at the prospect of the learning ahead.
I learnt as much in 2 1/2 hours as I have all year.
Mike

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Great post Mike. I think some LRF gear might have to find its way into Santas sack! Perhaps a Sussex LRF bumble in the new Year!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Mike,
We will have to hook up, by the end of the week conditions should getting good (clearer water), Between those of us getting into LRF, we should be able to work on venues/techniques and tackle.
New Year Bumble sounds like an awesome idea-Lets hope santa is good to everyone.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Alex,
Find a flounder mark where we can cover as much water as possible, and lets find out!!
Pretty sure they would be a goer, given RobF results.
Alex, would be well up for try, so let me know where/when.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Sounds good to me - flounder a viable lrf target?
I have caught flounder on LRF style kit. Fish up to 1.5lbs too. They go nuts on light gear. Unfortunately they seem to be few and far between on the venues I have fished recently so maybe we need to try further afield. But they are DEFINITELY catchable on small SPs.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
it is a slippery slops i have already started down t no going back now i fear going flounder bashing on sp's on friday all being well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies,
Dave I'd love to get out soon, but I doubt I'll be out fishing for a week or so, curse those other commitments. I think with the choice of an estuary, the harbour and arms some good spots on the beach and the marina there's plenty of opportunities for whiting and flounder at least. When I started fishing I lived in Brighton and me fished these areas with bait and you can catch plenty. Targeting from some spots may be tricky due to the distance needed but most areas I think would be ok especially near the structures where the fish are closer. And anyway I was never a distance caster.
Definitely extends the season, plus one for a new year's bumble.
Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts