The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really do and its only december ,usually when i go after the bass i have somewhere near where i know i can pick off a few macks so in the summer i eat it regulary ,has anyone tried the stuff in the super markets and how does it compare to fresh ?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
To be honest keith i only used to use supermarket macky for bait,thats all its fit for and even then its breaks up on the hook,god knows how many times its been in and out of ice.
cheers daz

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Keith,
I have to agree with Darren, the macky at my local supermarket is pitiful, to be honest the whole fish counter is pretty sorry looking. Macky just doesn't keep well, great straight out of the water, but it quickly goes down hill from there.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Anyone ever tried eating the mackerel fillets that tackle shops sell for bait? Its actually filleted and packed for food use!! It looks very good, I mean anglers are very fussy about it looking like its just been filleted, I wonder if the flavour has gone?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Eeeew! sounds a bad idea **** but saying that what have ya got to loose even when fish turn there noses up to supermarket fish.I had baramundy last year,shipped from oz....its supposed to be lovely but didnt enjoy it, god knows how they tried keeping it fresh.Ive heard it somewhere a while back there thinkin of farming it here.
cheers daz

·
8,741 Posts
Mackerel...yumm! Gotta be fresh, I went out 6am last summer in Porthleven, nailed about 13 on feathers and a 1oz lead, we ate 5 for breakfast at 8.30am, then took the rest wrapped in foil to my uncles place in Sithney, BBQ'd at lunchtime, fed about 10 people with a couple of burgers chucked in too! Salt, pepper, slice of lemon, heaven. My three kids LOVE it, they are 9,6 and 2.5, no squeaminsh one bit, that nag me to catch them more mackerel! Set me up for an afternoon BLANK for bass (again!) HA HA, my missus wants to know why I, if I can catch mack so easy why I put myself through the bass wringer......need a long night to psychoanalyze THAT one!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I bought some supermarket macks for bait a few weeks ago. the guy (i wont use the term fishmonger) used 4 fish to get 4 fillets! it was disgusting, definitely thawed out more than once Im glad I didnt eat it! It didnt help that his knife was as blunt as alf garnet (ask your parents kids). That said, I had the best days fishing of my life catching them when I was a kid

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a makerel recipe for you fillet them and cover them in rolled oats then cook in a dry frying pan on an open fire .dont add any oil as there is loads in the fish . Honestly its awesome

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Keith,
I will try that, I like them fresh out of the sea and on to a barbeque, with some warm butter rolls-gorgeous

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
All the macs i get are eaten within a couple of hours, wife and kids love them,get all your ingredients, lemon garlic what ever does it for you, put it all in a bowl and crush it into a paste, i gut me macs as i catch them they go off very quick leave the tail on. Make a 3 or 4 cuts in both sides rub in your paste, make a bag out of a sheet of tin foil lob in the mack bang it in the oven high heat for 15 or 20 mins wip it out, lift the tail and youll take all the bones out in one go and enjoy, all done in 25mins handy stuff. Super market fish is rubbish if you want good fresh fish go down to your local harbour and youll find someone selling fish caught that day,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts