The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I get up very early for a LRF session....many little scorpion fishes and three Serranus Scriba (about half pound each)....which give me a lot of enjoy to take them out from 10 meters deepness......

Then an "out of programme"....I was reeling in a small jig head (3 gramms) when it was striked by a small amberjack (about 2 or 3 pounds)....well....... it gained all the 10 -15 meters of deepness and I wasn't able to reel in any centimeter..:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:.....my rod (shimano diaflash 0.8-8 gramms 2-6 lb) was completely curved....after about 2 minute of fight the 0,14 fluorocarbon crashed on the rocks (or so I think).

What do you think is the limit of LRF tackle?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Wow!!

I guess that's about the limit in those conditions. It might have been different on a clean sandy beach where you had space to play the fish more?

And if the fight lasted until the line was broken on rocks, well i don't consider it the fault of LRF. It's something which happens with much heavier lure fishing as well!! 2 minutes isn't that long for the fight it had.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I agree...on sandy beaches I could have had greater chances and surely much more enjoy:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

The thing which I feel was the complete lack of "control" on the fish.....my only chance would have been to wait......

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I have the Diaflash (rated 0.6 - 7g). I recently landed a 5lb Pike on it (6lb Braid). The fish had cover to work with , in the form of weed & overhanging trees, but i was able to play it out to one of the lads waiting with a net. The kit obviously has limits, but you can lose a fish on any gear.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The limits are in the environment and the skills of the angler combined IMHO

We've had 7lb Bass out on 0.5 - 5g rods but I wouldn't target them at that size on purpose.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trust me Keith....a 3 pounds amberjack is much more powerful than a sea bass of double weight especially when it has the chance offered by a 15 meters deepness.

I think that LRF can be used for medium sized fish only on clean ground and limited deepness.
My feeling with the amberjack was a real lack of power....and without control the amberjack go when it wants.....towards the rock of the ground...

But....what a pleasure...:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
This was my limit. A silver trevally about 2 kilos. I was fishing for bream in Sydney Harbour using a finess bass rod, 4lb fireline, 8lb mono leader. The fish took in about 15 feet of water over clean sand but surrounded by barnacle covered rocks and added boat moorings. It took about 20 mins to get out but fortunately stayed away from any problems. I wouldn't have fished that light deliberately for silver trevally. They certainly put bass in the shade.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Thats the fun of "sport" fishing! Not much sport winching in a 2lb fish on a broom handle :)

You win some, you lose some. If it was easy everytime I think we'd soon lose interest.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
it is the attraction of the ultimate sport of using lures than than beach rods that has switched me this way of late.
I have always fished light for mullet 6lb fluro all of the time though this is just nuts.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
it is the attraction of the ultimate sport of using lures than than beach rods that has switched me this way of late.
I have always fished light for mullet 6lb fluro all of the time though this is just nuts.
Well, 7lb Bass go like stink on an LRF outfit and, is quite safe IF you don't panic.

This is why we generally carry a complement of gear. Both LRF and HRF when Bass can come and join the party.
To be honest, Pollack are the dirty fighters, LRF is tested with 3 - 5lb Pollack much more than bigger Bass IME. They just head shake, run a bit etc..

Pollack can scream off and dive into any available cover real quick.

LRF is an absolute blast if you don't abuse it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts