The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive my ignorance but thought I'd ask.
I love eating squid and I wondered if it was a goer to catch from the shore in Plymouth / South Devon area.
If I'm way of the mark please be gentle.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I have fished for them & seen them down at Elphinstone Pier in Plymouth. I guess if they're there then they're also present in other places along the Hoe/Barbican foreshore. Princess Pier up in Torquay is one of the local hotspots. Not sure on when they come in however......

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have hooked a rather large squid several (read over a dozen) times at Elphinstone carpark, but frustratingly failed to get it into the landing net on every occasion. Not sure if it was one rogue squid or if we may be seeing more of them showing up down our way? Went back down with some squid jigs a few days later (it was attacking my live bubble floated pollack previously) and managed one hook up with again escaped and didn't see of it again.

I would love to have a go at them up Princess Pier at some point.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
From research, squid will be around most of the British coastline at some point or another.
We have more than 1 species too + cuttlefish so don't rely on the 'no one gets em round here' comments.

They might not have ever tried.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts