The Lure Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, from the title you guessed right,

Unlike lure fishing from the shore or sea craft, boat, kayak etc, where people seem to take countless amounts of gear, extra lures that cover the already extra lures you’ve put in your bag just in case of losses or colour changes etc, sandwiches and a flask of hot tea or coffee, the ***s and lighter and god knows what else some guy’s take, the skisher has no such luxury.

So what do we take,

If you only THINK you need it, then you don’t, it’s as simple as that !.

Also thinking this way has helped the learning process for each of the few chosen lures you have in you bag.

The biggest problem comes from being up to your shoulders in water, which means everything you own is now drowned, so the less you have the better.

So essential items first.

7mm wetsuit with hood, two piece farmer john style is a far better option than a one piece because of the extra buoyancy and warmth they give compared with a one piece where your constantly getting flushed with cold water going in down through the neck seam every time there’s a wave or your finning towards a new mark.

To also help with not getting cold a open cell smooth skin wetsuit is better as the water will run off it better and the wind isn’t able to draw the warm water out of your suit, remember you could be in the water for up to 6 hours.

Long fins are a must, strapped ones are easier to get on and off when in the water, will give you plenty of drive when needed also the length is get for helping you keep your balance in the water, these have been drilled with 10mm holes through the top and bottom of the fins to allow a strap to be clipped to them for ease of carrying them around when not in use.

Hard soled boots 7mm or thicker are great, because if you need to remove your fins as we do some times when we also wade or climb over reef your not ripping your feet apart in the process.
Rod, 7-8ft in length seems to be a good size after trailing quite a few, action depends on what lures you intend on using, just make sure it can with stand total submersion without falling apart.

Reels, we use vs100 bailless which were designed for use in the surf zone and have been used in the USA by other skishers loaded with either 10lb, 15lb or 20lb braid depending on what species and terrain were over/in with a leader of either fluro or mono, which seem to be pretty bullet so far, but if you don’t what to splash out, then use a cheap one and grease up really well.

Other essentials are light’s, knife/knives, mobile phone, some cable ties so quick repairs can be made to broken fin straps or other items when out, Compass and or handheld GPS, very useful aids in keeping you out of trouble, a waterproof watch so you don’t get carried away with the time if your catching, remember to put thing in approved water proof bags if not already water proof.

Wading belt, we use a divers rubber weight belt, adjusts easily, stretches better and stays tight around your waist, on my belt I carry all my go to items that I’m always using via lanyards just in case I drop them, a knife and boga grip on my left hand side, get for helping revive fish that are to be returned and a great asset when removing lures etc, nothing worst then trying to unhook fish in the water when there thrashing about, next are my pliers and t-bar on my right hand side, keep everything that you use in the same place so it becomes second nature to grab it and return it back in it’s correct place, I also carry a loop on the back of my belt that I can strap my lure bag down to via a Velcro strap to stop it from moving about when swimming and fishing.

Lure bag, keep it small with no zippers, they will only break, use Velcro or plastic clips all the way, keep your lure selection to a minimum, maybe 10-12 lures max of either soft or hard baits, plus try and pre rig everything if possible, (just makes life out there so much nicer),and a way to stop everything falling/floating away when every you need to get at anything.

Other items depending on when your going out, a warm hat, sunglasses

Right these are extra’s if you have room, a food bar that doesn’t soak up water and a drink with a sealable lid, nothing tastes quite like sea water.

I think that’s it.

kev

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can't remember the make of it, got it from the I.S.MARINE or south pier, had it so long can't remember, ithink the names rubbed of the bag also.

kev

1 - 5 of 5 Posts