The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning guys

A trip to Bonne Nuit last night saw me arrive at about 8pm and not leave until 1-30am. When I arrived, some of the guys already fishing there had caught mackerel and pollock on feathers. I used my Quantum and sent a gulp alive sandeel into the distance for a bit of deadsticking. As darkness fell, I went back to my car to get my ULX to try a really light approach, as most of the guys had left.

Trying the few tricks i knew and still no bites on either method. I suspected there may be ika's about, based on previous experience of our group. Fishing with me were Darren and Scotty who had both livebaited mackerel without success, but when Darren reeled in his livebait It was followed in by what looked like a large ika. Another one the followed in the bait on Darrens float, time for Eggy to do some eging I thought.

I now had the end of the pier to myself and looking down there were worms swimming on the surface and the occasional ika darting out the shadows to investigate my egi. There were no bites at all on the light rod, so I concentrated on the ika's. It wasn't long before I'd positively ID'd cuttlefish.

All excited now, I cast out and brought it back in a jigging motion whilst still trying to see the lure subsurface and sure enough, a cuttle came flying in and grabbed my egi. Sadly, it was only hooked by one tentacle, I didn't have my landing net, so it fell off back into the sea. Over the next 10 mins, isaw another 2 cuttles, one of the very big, swimming off from the pierhead into the darkness beyond. I guess the cuttle activty lasted about an hour, between 1-2hours after high.

No more activity on either rod for another hour and I decided to swap my red & orange egi for my yellow/green egi. I shone my headtorch on it as it does glow a bit and cast out. Straight away it was hit by a squid, not the biggest ever but at least he had a good hold and I managed to land him.

Next cast, it had only just about hit the water and another squid was charging up to it but refused to attack at the last second. This happened a few more times, before they too disappeared.

Good fun, I really enjoyed watching the ika's, I must have seen about 20, 4 of which were cuttles. Strangely, the water had those same dirty patches we'd seen a few weeks earlier, with only about 6' visibility at best.

Gary

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Brilliant report Gary.

Looking more and more like year round eging is possible eh.
When those txt's came in on the phone I nearly came back out. Should have I guess.
6 hours fishing with 3 kids kinda wears you out though.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weird that those cloudy patches are back? The cuttles were only there for about an hour before the squid arrived. 10 mins after texting, they'd gone.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Due to the catch reports piling in, and my Broadband going on strike for the past few evenings, i only just got to this report Gary.

Absolutely cracking report :clap:. A really good read, and helped all the more by having been over there and being able to visualise where you were & what you were doing !!

Keep em' coming Gary :D

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done Gary, great report !

We have booked Jersey for the end of October to fish the festival, will there be any Squid there then ?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There will be loads of squid around then (Only time of the year they show oct-dec honest.lol). Trouble is the pierheads will be busy with people who think thats the only time. Look forward to meeting you Steve.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
We'll have em well sorted by then and yes, loads around. I know a few places well away from the harbours that will be alive with em.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
There will be loads of squid around then (Only time of the year they show oct-dec honest.lol). Trouble is the pierheads will be busy with people who think thats the only time. Look forward to meeting you Steve.
Same here Gary, in fact I will be on a mission to meet as many of the Jersey boys as I can, we have 4 nights and days over there so will hopefully get to go fishing with you all, have a drink and talk bollox, Can't wait !!!!!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Same here Gary, in fact I will be on a mission to meet as many of the Jersey boys as I can, we have 4 nights and days over there so will hopefully get to go fishing with you all, have a drink and talk bollox, Can't wait !!!!!
We're very good at talking bollox (universal fishing language), it's going to be fun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts