The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Well, we had a feeling something was wrong last night. Bites galore and only Paul B managed to hook a small Pollack.

We tried everything, even down to a team of size 16 hooks with micro soft lures as we suspected Grasdos nipping at the lures. Then, for some reason, we switched to a dead slow retrieve and the bites were multiplied by a 10 factor. A dozen bites per retrieve !

No hook ups ?

Frustrating to say the least.

Some of the takes felt quite dragging in nature and both Paul and myself identified this and thought, like we had on a few occasions this past few weeks that tiny Ika's (Squid) were to blame.

Callum had an Egi and rigged it on his Tenryu Supermix 240. We still hadn't really seen anything to visually confirm Ika's but with a few retrieves....

IKA ! There's one, there's another...

Callum, wait for it, it's going for it........

Callum with his first ever Ika. Eging might have a lasting impression on him. Remember, traditionally, we don't fish for Squid now. Bah Humbug to traditions I say.

A size 4.0 Egi slow sinking by the look of it in the water.

Paul B gets into the Ika's...

These look different to the much larger Squid we get late season. I'm not really up on my Cephalopod ID though, sorry.

Eging master Callum-san with the biggest Ika of the session.

Awesome...

Bring it on I say. We are out again later.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Yep great report and good fun - I'd be keeping those for the pot. One thing though: can we not just call a squid a squid? I know the derivation and the Japanese development of this discipline and their lures etc, but it is still a squid, no?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
One thing though: can we not just call a squid a squid? ...but it is still a squid, no?
Agreed. Squid til I die ;-)

Brilliant report though guys! Totally different. Really good to see.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing though: can we not just call a squid a squid?
Of course you can.
We like calling em Ika's though.
Gets you in the mood and, Eging is not like traditional British 'Squid Jigging'. That is why I'm making the distinction.

No one ever complained the red rod is called Rod Bar now did they ? Sounds better than Rod Bass doesn't it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Lovely in a light tempura batter with some home made tartare sauce and a wedge of lemon...

Making my mouth water. Wish we got them in the Thames.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Well done guys for working that out. The rate you are going down there you will be seeing penguins next.....
I am so suffering from a lack of proper fishing!!!!!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
What's the quickest, kindest way of dispatching a squid if you're planning on having it for tea?.... should I ever catch one.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I seen a video recently where the Japanese fella had lure a metal T bar that had a V shaped small end that was sharpened in the V, he simply pushed the end through the squids head infront of the eyes (half of the squid went white instantly) then he pushed the same V thingy through the head behind the eyes and hey presto the rest of the squid turned white instantly, the squid was dead as a dodo instantly.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Thanks guys. Have just had a little look around and seen a few things mentioned actually. Nice to know that its possible at least, with some knowledge of which bits which.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Great fishing Callum and Paul.

If you want to kill a Squid quickly remove its head from its body.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Tim

I've never fished for squid but caught them by accident whilst bait fishing. I was going to get a couple of squid lures whilst in Portugal next week & give them a go. I'm not sure which type & why.
The advantages & disadvantages of each type.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
i've never gone just for them either. Just seen them off the boat and dropped a lure over. I think the posh ones are just more refined, and so I suppose they catch more.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They must run truer, more balanced. they have different weights for different depths and/or actions. I'd never thought El Squid was very selective, I've always done ok on the cheapos.
The Japanese have a 422 year heritage that shouldn't be ignored. Things evolve the way they do for a reason.

Egi's are designed to fall and hold bottom at set angles. Weighting is adjusted to allow for different subsurface actions. Textures and visuals are designed around the Squids super eyesight and feel.

We have had good results for years here at certain times of year but, unlike other more establish squid nations, we don't fish daylight hours.
There is far more data available for top Egi's than top plugs especially sink rates and aftermarkets for the Egi.

Squid jigs and Egi's might look the same to the ignorant but open your eyes just a little wider and there is a whole world of stuff we are missing out on.
Why all fight over the lit harbours between sept and dec ?

Why not, just evolve to fish or go Eging for Squid everywhere and anytime.
I know the former is easier but I never did do easy very well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts